FW: [Chrysler300] Electronic Ignition

  _____

From: C Bilter [mailto:cbilter@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2012 9:56 AM
To: 'Ronald Kurtz'
Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] Electronic Ignition

I have used the Mopar Performance (aka Direct Connection) systems on many
vehicles (with non tach drive distributors) including my daily drivers
beginning in the 1980's and never had a failure.  That said I have heard
anecdotally that the newer control boxes are not made to a high standard and
are prone to failure.  All of mine were purchased at least 20 years ago; so
I can't comment on that.  One unit I have (Direct Connection) has been in
continuous service for 30 years without any problems.

The distributor is set up with a high performance, quick advance curve, but
is really best suited for 1970's and newer emissions controlled vehicles
that use a lot of vacuum advance.  For our older vehicles, this amount of
advance tends to be excessive but it can be adjusted down with an allen
wrench to control detonation.  I have found a notable performance
improvement on my non HP 413 engines (such as Imperials) and no detonation
with some adjustment of the advance.  When I used it on my G back in the
day, replacing it's worn out tach drive dizzy, the detonation was
problematic.  On one car a friend of mine essentially replaced the
distributor guts with a stock advance curve set up to better match what the
413 was designed for.  That worked out quite well.

The Pertronix is far less expensive, it is simpler, and doesn't require an
unsightly non-stock control box.  It is also only solution for those of us
with a tach drive distributor other than a Mallory Unilite.  The Pertronix
does not provide any performance enhancement other than consistent dwell and
the maintenance free reliability that one doesn't get with conventional
breaker points.

Carl Bilter

  _____