Re: [Chrysler300] Tire size comparison

Stay with P235/75R15 - same size F & R - not sure what you are putting
them on - but they are a good match for 9.00-14 or 8.85-14 (28.7 to 28.8
inch OD).

The P225/75R15 may be closer if you are replacing 8.50-14 (28.1 to 28.3
inch OD).

I tried P235/70R15 on those wheels and had clearance issues at steering
lock on both 67NY 4drHT and 68 300 2dr.

Anything that lowers the car makes it look wrong at least in my eyes and
different front vs rear has a number of issues including handling unless
car is designed (spring rates & sway bar rates) for that setup.

On 5/8/2012 9:44 PM, Mike wrote:

> Hi Dave,
> Assuming you'd like to have a whitewall, regardless of width of
> whitewall, you will probably end up with a 235-75-15. Years ago
> Goodyear eagle gts were actually available in a 235-70-15 whitewall, h
> speed rated. Unfortunately they aren't available. Stick with something
> 75 series and you should be able to find a whitewall. If whitewall
> isn't a concern then the door opens to other options. A 255-60-15 will
> look nice, and be about an inch shorter in diameter (which only drops
> the car a half inch) than a 235-75-15. A 275-60-15 in the rear will
> still fit the 6" wide road wheel and look nice but you'll need a
> 235-70-15 on the front to match diameters and maintain the current
> rake of the car. Once you stagger tire sizes like that you can't
> rotate tires for maximum life. Probably not a concern as you're not
> likely putting many miles on the car. Over the years I've had
> different wheel and tire combos on my cars and even have a set of very
> retro looking 18" centerlines on my K. I always however miss the
> whitewalls and original wheelcovers and ultimately switchback. Back in
> the mid 90's when it became impossible to find readily available 14's
> in whitewalls I built a set of 15" wheels that accepted my 14"
> wheelcovers. That was the best of both worlds. Years later when I met
> Dan Reitz he liked the idea so much he also built a set when he
> converted to disc brakes. I don't recall if the photos and writeup he
> posted was on the club website or John Hertig's site but it's worth
> looking for if you'd like the option to retain your wheelcovers.
> Perhaps he could email you some photos. Hope this helps with your
> decision. Mike Laiserin
>
> Sent from my iPod
>
> On May 8, 2012, at 6:29 PM, "David Schwandt"
> <finsruskw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:finsruskw%40iowatelecom.net>> wrote:
>
> > OK tire gurus. I'm looking a putting a set of 15" tires on the F for
> > distance driving as I don't want to trust my
> >
> > Now 10+ year old 14" WWW Cokers for the long trips I have hopes of
> making
> > this year with the car.
> >
> > They will be going on 1970 Chrysler 300 road wheels similar to those
> on a
> > Hurst.
> >
> > What size should I be looking for to avoid fitment problems and come
> close
> > to the overall dimensions of the 14's now on the car?
> >
> > A hair taller would be OK as it should help some w/MPG I would think.
> >
> > Carbs are being professionally rebuilt and I'm hoping I can pull
> down some
> > decent (yeah..right!!) MPG's
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Dave Schwandt