FW: [Chrysler300] Transmission jumps into gear?

From: Bob Jasinski [mailto:rpjasin@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2012 3:05 PM
To: 's beard'
Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] Transmission jumps into gear?

This is a potentially dangerous condition.  Some questions:

Was the parking brake firmly applied before you got out of the car? If not,
why not, never do this!
Is the parking brake adjusted properly?
Did the technician adjust the shift cable by looking at the shift positions
falling into place properly (ball detents) from underneath the car with the
pan removed, or did he adjust the cable with the pan on and just relied on
the service manual adjustment that does not require the pan be removed?
Was the transmission effectively "in gear" or was the movement just caused
by residual friction from within the clutch packs?
The only way to really tell if the shift cable is adjusted properly is to
drop the pan and have an assistant push each shift button and verify that
the ball is firmly in the bottom of each detent position.  If not, adjust it
so that it is.  If you have a problem getting it reliably fall into the ball
detent position each time, check for too much play in the downshift lever. I
had that happen with my G and found that by shimming the downshift lever by
putting a washer underneath the lever it took out the sloppiness and would
then reliably fall into proper position each time a button was pressed.

Bob J