Re: [Chrysler300] '62 Chrysler 300 4-door

Re: [Chrysler300] '62 Chrysler 300 4-door

Good morning from the flooded north - Huge amounts of rain the last few days and a lot of flooding in BC. So far we're not flooded in Calgary and the rain has moved east. The rain accelerated the mountain snow melt, so the next few days will tell.

I recall the 300 replacing the Saratoga model around 1962, but can't recall the specifics of sedan vs. hardtops. However, in those days, Canada tended to be a more conservative market, often opting for lower line less expensive models, so a 4 door sedan would fit that context. I remember some of my dad's friends saying they didn't like hardtops because they were more prone to developing rattles than sedans. (Regrettably) big block engines weren't as popular here either, possibly because gasoline prices have always been higher than in the US.  I was 10 in 1962, so I'll have to dig back into my archives to see what I can find on Canadian Chryslers. We called them Windsors rather than Newports up until 1967 as well. I'll ask some of the older Mopar Club guys what they recall.

Prior to the US Canada Auto Pact which came in around 1969, some interesting "hybrid" and rebadged models were built in Canada, mostly in Oshawa and Windsor, Ontario. Ford built Meteors in the 50's which were rebadged Fords sold out of Lincoln Mercury dealers. Later in1962, Meteors were intermediates between the Comet and the full size Mercs, and I think these were sold in the US as well. After '63, Meteors were low end rebadged Mercurys that replaced the Monarch brand until about 1970. Ford produced the Monarch in Canada, a rebadged Mercury up until 1961. Monarchs sold alongside Mercurys. (In the 70's the Monarch name showed up on rebadged Granadas in both countries). I have no idea why they would produce these duplicate brand models in a country that had less than 20 million people in those days.

The oddest Canadian built cars of that era were Canadian built Ponitacs from the early 50's to 1969 when the Auto Pact allowed cross border movement, and we began to see Grand Villes and Bonnevilles in dealer showrooms. Prior to that, Canadian Pontiacs were a unique "hybrid" combination of Catalina bodies on Chevrolet frames with Chev power trains and steering / suspensions. The top of the line Parisiennes got Bonneville interiors and exterior trim. The lower line Laurentians and Strato Chiefs as they were called often got a blend of Chev seat covers, door panels, and steering wheels and Pontiac dashes. Because they were built on narrower Chev platforms, they weren't wide tracks. If you look at a Canadian Pontiac of the day, the wheels are recessed in the fender wells, and there were no 8 lug wheel options.  Engines and transmissions were Chev sourced, so 60's Pontiacs typically had 283 or 327 / Powerglide combinations (so why did they outsell the much superior Mopars??).

We never saw the Pontiac Tempest/LeMans in Canada until 1970, so also no GTO's before that. Pontiac intermediates in the 60's were rebadged Chevelles and Chevy II's, called Beaumonts and Acadians respectively. They were Chevrolets end to end with no US Pontiac content. These cars are now rare and have a narrow following up here, but aren't worth much in the US because no one knows what they are.

All that said, Chrysler Canada had relatively few deviations from their US models compared to Ford and GM. The main difference was the absence of certain models here. For example, we had Valiants but no Darts until the late 60's and not all the full size Dodge models were sold up here.

I'll let you know if I learn anything more about Canadian 4 door sedan 300's.

Best regards,

Mark Hopkins in Calgary