 From: MARK HOPKINS <m.hopkins@xxxxxxx>
To: David Schwandt <finsruskw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: 300 <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2012 4:00 PM
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Car Show.

Same experience up in Calgary on Saturday. There were about 450 cars at the only church run show here - on a beautiful 81 degree day. The organizers claim they have a direct connection to the weatherman. I'd estimate my 300F was photographed at least 40 times and people were asking about it almost non-stop all day. Considering I was parked beside two concours perfect GM's (both purchased at Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale - a '58 GMC 3/4 ton and a '58 Impala convertible bought in 2010 for a record hammer price  of $180,000), my car drew more attention. It's a nice #2 condition hardtop, so not in the league of the trailer queens next to it, but on the other hand, I can drive my car.  Quite a few Mopars at the show, but no other 300's; mostly B and E bodies.

Dave's observation about the new stuff is regretably bang on. The Mustang Club had a big contingent at this show as they always do, but I'll bet at least 70% were post 2005 cars. I can go to a Ford dealer if I want to see that stuff. A lot of the newer tuner stuff too. The good news is they're keeping the young kids in the car hobby; bad news is I can't wait for car shows in 20 years (if I live that long) when I have to push my walker past hundreds of Nissan's and Mazda's........Interesting too, that their cars are all about technology, not power; so many of them have a $10,000 car with $40,000 worth of video and sound equipment in them.......I don't know if you're seeing this in the US, but we're getting a lot of right hand drive 90's and older cars coming in from Japn in the last few eyars. Can't undertsnad why they alow them to be on the road..........But I digress......a lot....

This was also the only show here with a burnout contest and monster trucks. The monster truck were crushing '80's Camaro's, Toyota's and such, so that was a worthwhile public service. As for the burnouts, I couldn't do that to any of my cars. One guy and his very pregnant wife with a matching yellow SRT Charger and a Super Bee showed what those new cars can do strapped down and standing still. While the white smoke was incredible (they convinced her to wear a mask)  I wonder what that would do to their warranty if they damaged the cars in the process? Two guys with old cars (both Chevys) dropped their driveshafts in the afternoon session, which creates an interesting set of sound effects too.

We're off to a nice lakeside show east of town this Saturday. With such a short car season, have to make the best of it. Have a great week everyone!

Mark in Calgary

mailto:hrysler300%40yahoogroups.com>

Mark Hopkins
403 660-0505