[Chrysler300] Fan, Fan Clutch, Fan Shroud

[Chrysler300] Fan, Fan Clutch, Fan Shroud

Hi Group,

I am somewhat confused about the operation of fan clutches and the reasons for their use.

My questions apply to 1962 vehicles with 413 engines because I am familiar with them and have the parts book.

A 300H w/o air has a fan clutch and 7 blade fan.

A 300H w/air has a fan clutch, 7 blade fan and a shroud.

A New Yorker w/o air only has a 4 blade fan.

A New Yorker w/air has a fan clutch, 7 blade fan and a shroud.

I have always thought that the purpose of a fan clutch was to lessen the energy required to rotate it when it was not needed for cooling.

I also thought that the viscosity of the fluid in the fan clutch changed with temperature so that it would increase in rpm to match that of the water pump when needed for increased cooling.

The shroud on air conditioned cars is there to help the 7 blade fan pull more air through the radiator that is blocked by the ac condenser in front of the radiator.

The above makes sense to me except for the difference between the 300H w/o air and the New Yorker w/o air.

Why would the New Yorker only have a 4 blade fan and no fan clutch? Perhaps robbing HP was not considered important for tha New Yorker.

Doug Warrener

Fair Oaks, CA

300H

62 300 Sport Conv.