RE: [Chrysler300] POR-15 Color for Bottom of 300L?

RE: [Chrysler300] POR-15 Color for Bottom of 300L?

David et al,

While I don't own a 300L, I 'm currently restoring a '65 Barracuda FS, and
done a lot of undercarriage detail work on it, and experimented with several
different products.  Unless the underside of your 300L is extremely rusty, I
wouldn't even consider using POR 15.  Don't get me wrong, POR 15 is a good
product if used properly and in the right application, but this is not the
right application.

POR 15 must have rust to adhere properly, that means all clean rusty metal,
(if that makes sense).  No grease, oil, or painted metal. Also, POR 15 is a
dangerous product.  If you spray it, you must have a very good respirator,
best with supplied air as even a small amount can damage your lungs.  Do not
get it on your skin, wear good gloves.  Nothing will take it off your skin
but time.

Consider doing what Ryan suggest, clean it off the best you can.  If you
have areas of rust, I strongly suggest Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer 248658,  in
a spray can. (not the jug, that's a bit different stuff according to the
tech support person I spoke with).  Follow up with  the Rust-Oleum
undercoating.  These are great products, easy to use, effective and fairly
inexpensive.  Much safer to use too.  Auto Zone carries them.

I did some test patches of the Rust reformer about a year ago.  That is, I
took a painted piece of sheet metal with surface rust on it.  I did not
clean the piece, but it wasn't oily or greasy.  I sprayed the product on and
left it outside in the rain, sun  etc. and the coating looks like I just put
it on, it's held up well. A duct tape pull test removes nothing from the
test patch.

Bob J
300G Convert