[Chrysler300] Firm feel power steering

I went through the decision process about a year ago on whether or not to go
with the "firm feel upgrade" to the steering box in my 300G.  At first, I
had planned on having it done, but the more I looked in to it, and the more
300 people I corresponded with about it, I decided not to do it.

There are several reasons I decided against it.  First off, I never really
had a problem with the way the steering felt on the car.  That is, a car as
large as a 300G is benefits from lighter steering and it is indeed, part of
the driving experience with the car.  If you have a problem with road feel,
there is a good chance you probably have front end parts that are worn out,
or in bad alignment, and not a problem with the design itself.

Secondly, Once my box was rebuilt, and installed, I wanted the car realigned
based on the Club recommended maximum caster front end alignment spec.  That
is, to put as much caster as you can in the front end to better the handling
characteristics when running radial tires, as I do. Understand that when
maximizing caster, the steering effort needed is increased, thereby
offsetting the light feel of the stock steering, so it balances out quite
well in my view.

If you look at the alignment spec's in the service manual for, in my case
1961, it shows the caster for manual steering as a -1/2 degree with a +-
variation of 1/2 degree.  That's basically NO caster!  The power steering
spec is +3/4 degree caster.  The reason the manual steering caster is
basically zero is because of the excessive effort need to steer the heavy
car without power assist, especially when parking, so the engineers
minimized the caster to make the steering as light as possible without power
assist.   Also keep in mind they only had bias ply tires back then.

My alignment guy was able to get 2 degrees caster in my stock front end.
Caster is what causes the wheels to go in a straight line when you take your
hands off the steering wheel.  The upper control arm position is farther
back that the lower control arm, this puts the steering knuckle axis line
leaning towards the back of the car.  Think of a motorcycle, the caster put
in the front fork causes the motorcycle to go straight when you let go of
the handle bars, the same thing is true in a car.

The more caster, that more the car will feel like it is "riding on rails", I
like that.  I now have that road great feel, and it's still easy to park.

Bob J

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: