From: "Rich Barber" <c300@xxxxxxx>
To: "Lindsey Fuller" <yesdnil@xxxxxxx>, "Ron Waters" <ronbo97@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, cpaviper@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 6:18:28 PM
Subject: Just venting

True vented gas caps have the vent hole and a little check valve to prevent gasoline from sloshing out.  Vented caps are so stamped and are pretty much available at auto parts stores.  Authentic caps should be readily available from salvage yards.  I’d do a quick visual check of the tank.  I can see where pulling a deep vacuum on the tank, then relieving it quickly could damage a fuel pump.  Careful inspection of crankcase oil would be good idea to see if fuel flowed there through the damaged fuel pump.  I’d not start the engine until the contaminated oil was changed out if that was the case.  Seems like I’ve seen decals inside gas doors specifying vented or non-vented gas caps.

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA