Re: [Chrysler300] radial tires for a 300F

Re: [Chrysler300] radial tires for a 300F

It's going to be sacrilegious or not depending on whether you want to
show your F for points or take it out and enjoy the old iron. We've had
a tremendous amount of discussion on this forum in the recent past on
this very subject, and I think we all pretty much concur that a Coker
bias tire will be good for points in a judging - but worthless or worse
on the highway.  Several members have also had experience with even the
Coker radials actually blowing out at speed.

Now a Diamond Back radial, on the other hand, is a "Level 100" tire to
begin with, and it has a custom sized whitewall vulcanized to it.  So
it's as safe and smooth as the tires on your new car.  The only problem
is that they do not yet offer a tire in the right size for your F which
originally was a 9.00-14.  The closest they have now is a 225-70R14.
Diamond Back is finalizing the development of the tire sizes we need on
our 300s and I believe they will imminently have the 235-75R15 as needed
on the earlier and later letter cars.

I talked to Bill Chapman there a couple of weeks ago to see about
progress on the 235-75R14 which he is also working on.  (That's the one
you need on your F).  He has had to kick this can down the road several
times, and now he says next June/July/August is his target to have them
ready for us.  He is running a production of the 15s now, after which
they will put the 14" sideplates on the molds and get a run of them
out.  These will then have to be certified by the DOT folks before he
can actually market them.

I'm currently running the 225-70R14s on my C while I wait for him to
come out with the right ones.  This is a set of whitewalled Hankooks
from Diamond Back.  They're about 1.5" too short, but they're OK for now
and I can use them for painting stripes in the meantime.

Keith Boonstra

-
On 9/18/2012 7:29 PM, Patrick Meehan wrote:

> i'm new to my 300F hardtop.  it's got 72k original miles and drives
> like a dream.  however, i'm a little scared of the bias ply tires.
> they don't handle well and i'm afraid of how old they may be.
> is it sacreligious to put coker classic radials on a 300F???  this
> isn't a show car; it's an immaculate original survivor and i love
> driving it...but i'm afraid sometimes of the non-radial handling.
> what does the crew here recommend?
> thanks
> Patrick

<*> Your email settings: