Re: [Chrysler300] Thermodynamics of a Ram

Re: [Chrysler300] Thermodynamics of a Ram

Hi Mike,

The folks writing here are far more erudite and experienced than I on
this whole subject area, so I wonder if I'm missing something to think
the direct answer to your question is a little less complicated. If your
rebuilder changed the pistons in order to lower the compression, the
tops of those new pistons must necessarily ride lower in the cylinder.

I wonder if you could simply measure the distance from the top of a
spark plug hole down to the top of the piston at TDC and BDC. You can
then ask for one of us to do the same on a known-to-be-stock H engine.
If your measurements are greater, your pistons must have been changed.
If the measurements match, your compression should too.

N'est-ce pa?

Keith Boonstra

-
On 11/10/2012 10:14 AM, Michael Moore wrote:

> Thanks Carl,
> As a matter of interest, the reason I asked the question initially was
> to get an idea as to whether my rebuilder 20 years ago, concerned
> about emissions control and loss of premium gasoline, as he prepared
> my 300H for a move to California, had installed low compression pistons.
>
> He had made other mods supporting that goal. I was just looking for a
> general idea of what compression readings stock (driver) 300H's ought
> to be so I could compare mine and make a judgement about pistons.
> Thanks again, Mike
>
> On Nov 10, 2012, at 6:54 AM, Carlton Schroeder wrote:
>
> Hello,
> This subject appears to be another example of a question being more
> complicated than it might first seem. Just on the matter of an engines
> compression ratio I thought (and still do) it is just a volume ratio
> of the
> sum of the cylinder volume the piston moves through + the combustion
> chamber
> volume divided by the combustion chamber volume. With odd shaped
> combustion
> chambers, valve tops, the spark plug, head gaskets, and non-flat
> piston tops
> the exact volume calculations would be complicated. I guess though if you
> really wanted to determine a precise CR you could use oil and fill the
> volumes (piston at the bottom and piston at the top) and determine the CR
> from that data. The valves would have to be closed and to be really
> precise
> you would have to account for that little additional volume in the spark
> plug core.
> For another method if the piston was at the bottom and you could make a
> pressure and temperature reading then and could also measure the pressure
> and temperature in the combustion chamber at the end of the compression
> stroke then from gas laws you should be able to calculate the CR.
> I hope this understanding is consistent with the rest of the posts
> I've been
> reading.
> Carlton Schroeder
> Eagle River, WI