[Chrysler300] Powder Coat rams

I've got to chime in on the engine powder coat question as well, if I might.
In 1985, I had my rams and valve covers powder coated on my 300G.  Now the
valve covers are black and the rams are red, so it is a bit different
situation than the 300K.  I've never had a problem with the black parts,
they have held up well.

The red rams though, turned a lighter, almost pinkish color after about 10+
years.  Why?  I really don't know, the black stayed black, but the red
didn't.  My point is that powder coating is not necessarily the absolute
best way to go in every situation, as many people believe.  For one thing,
it is very difficult to remove if the need arises.  Abrasive blasting is
about the only way to get it off, and you must use an aggressive media to do
it.  Any screw thread hole that get coated must be rethreaded with a tap or
die to get the threads into spec again.

In building on Mike's point, if the engine block will be painted
conventionally, and the rams and valve covers powder coated, you may find
yourself with a mismatch at some point in the future you had not
anticipated.

Having said that, you can always paint over the powder coat with
conventional engine paints, that's what I did on my rams, by hand mind you,
with an artists' brush, and they came out looking great, but an engine block
repaint would be more difficult.

Bob J

Hi Larry,

You probably already know this but I wasn't sure by the way your message
reads; The entire engine is turquoise, not just the rams and valve covers.
Also, why powder coat? Harder to touch up if needed and you still need to
match spray able color for the rest. I can probably find the formula I mixed
to closely resemble the old plasticoat #210 turquoise which Gil said was a
good match.
A single stage urethane applied over either epoxy or self-etch primer is
very durable.

Mike Laiserin

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional