From: RAKFAR@xxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:15 AM
To: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Chrysler300] Re: 300F A/C Question --- WARNING!!!

Okay, I don't want to pretend I'm an expert (and I didn't stay at a
Holiday Inn Express last night), but I do have the hard-earned benefit of a bit
of experience on this subject, and would like to post a word of caution to
those of you who have yet to travel this road.

Up to a few years ago my daily driver was a 1969 Road Runner
convertible with factory air (bit of a rare combination). My 300F has
factory air too, so this is also 300-related. Anyway, after a while the Road
Runner's A/C got weak, and I determined it needed a recharge. Of course,
being a 1969 vehicle it required R-12, which was silly expensive and hard to
find. So after a little internet research and a few phone calls, I fell
prey to the encouragements of those who said I could switch to modern R-134
(yes, you can!) with only a few modifications.

These specified modifications included flushing the system,
installing new, non-permeable hoses (apparently the R-134 molecules are
smaller) and O-rings, a new receiver-drier, and R-134 compatible lubricant oil.
I think all this ran me about $350 or so, and sure enough, while not as
cold as before, the old Road Runner's A/C worked on R-134.

Or at least it did for about six months, before the compressor
packed up and died. After much more frustration and investigation, I
learned a few things: while the mods I made allowed the R-134 to work, the
basic DESIGN of my A/C system was unchanged. Included in that design were
certain obscure components like the expansion valve and the EPR regulator that
(of course) regulated the system BASED UPON TEMPERATURES AND PRESSURES
UNIQUE TO R-12, and not R-134. Bottom line, as I came to understand it (see
my first sentence) is that the R-134 confused the poor system, making it run
practically all the time to maintain its cool. Eventually the overworked
compressor seized up.

Now, for those of you who live in Michigan or Illinois and use
your A/C a month or two per year, it may be acceptable ( and may be the
source of the wives' tale that "you can use R-134 in an R-12 system"), but
for those of us in Southern California (or Texas or Florida) it just doesn't
do it.

Take my advice--- if you must have functioning A/C, either
pony up and pay for genuine R-12, or contact Sanden and get a modern,
non-original, non-concours R-134 system. Don't say you weren't warned.

300F'ly,

Roger Karlson
Carpinteria, CA

<*> Your email settings: