From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Keith Boonstra
Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2013 12:23 PM
To: Rich Barber
Cc: 'Chrysler 300 List'; 'Gary Goers'
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Goers medical update

Sounds like Gary went through the medical version of "Trains, Planes, and
Automobiles".  Except that was funny.  He does make the procedures sound
like restoring an old car, and it seems the outcome - just as in doing your
own restoration work - would have been at least as good if he had done the
work himself.

Keith Boonstra

-

On 3/10/2013 3:28 AM, Rich Barber wrote:

> [...]
> stapled longer so it would have been mostly healed in those two extra
> weeks because complication #1 developed. There was a sudden increase
> in inflammation and pain when I had the leg down (like hobbling to the
> bathroom with the walker). Off the the hospital and an MRI showed an
> occlusion in the left femoral artery near the knee (hmm that area
> sounds familiar). Not to worry, the magic rotor rooter thing would
> clear the clot and all would be fine.
> Well, after three hours of trying from all access points, they were
> forced to give up when the angiogram tip peeled a flap off the artery
> wall which formed a one way valve--the wrong way. That procedure was
> stopped and the search was on for a good vein for a bypass. The
> popular vein used for heart bypass procedures was in good shape so
> only one two foot long incision in the inner left leg supplied access
> for the vein and also the artery.
> Bypass
> successful after 6 hours total on the table.
> All seemed to be healing well except very slowly for that open
> incision on the ankle which continually oozed fluid and thicker yellow
> colored stuff.
> I was constantly told that this was normal and the wound looked like
> it was filling in. I couldn't see it very well especially without
> being able to bend much with the fresh bypass incision. Complication
> #2 came along about two weeks later and it was a biggie. The familiar
> pain and inflammation returned and an ultrasound exam showed that the
> whole bypass was plugged up.
> How could this be!? It took a while to piece the facts together and
> the facts were surprising to say the least. During the first bypass
> the whole artery was left intact including the clot which was only a
> few inches above the lower bypass graft point. The thinking is that
> the body may eventually dissolve the clot and have the artery back in
> full service. Didn't quite work out that way. The occlusion material
> loosed up and went down to the narrow spot (graft point) and plugged
> it almost completely. After another unsuccessful angiogram which
> loosened material that went down into the foot causing the capillaries
> to plug up, everything was put on hold for 36 hours while I had a
> constant IV of Heparin and a clot dissolving drug. The foot was barely
> saved, but it's still here although about a 3" X 3" area of skin on
> top of the foot "died"--black-dead and the circulation to the left
> side of the ankle was severely compromised. That open wound now became
> a big long term problem. You probably guessed it--bypass redone using
> the vein from the right leg. No more spare parts left now. Not to
> worry all seemed well and the ankle was pronounced no longer fragile
> and I could put weight on it. I did some walking with a walker and
> some with crutches and things seemed better. I was even able to go to
> the shop for a couple of hours a day and get some stuff done sitting down.
This operation was Jan. 13th.
> Just a month later and only little more than a week home and the ankle
> started hurting real bad and real deep. Two days having 102.6 degree
> fever spikes, I was back in the hospital where an X-ray showed that
> the plate and screws in the ankle were loose and the outer bone was
> not healed well and barely hanging on. What caused this!? Doc says the
> ankle is infected and the plate and screws have to come out. Although
> no doctor would give a direct answer, it was obvious that the
> infection in the open wound right over the plate had gone into the
> ankle. So, another operation to remove the plate and screws, wash
> everything out and close it up turned out well considering that the
> infection wasn't in the bones and the loose bone was sturdy enough to
> leave as is for now. That operation was on Valentine's day (birthday
> party with pizza and drinks thrown by friends canceled) and so far is
> successful. There wasn't enough skin to fully close the left incision,
> but it's close to being closed now. It will be April 1st before I can
> put any weight on the ankle and even then only with a supporting brace.
> Meanwhile, I'm stuck in a recliner with an antibiotic infusion three
> times a day. Healing is slow, but all is well so far. I look forward
> to getting back to work and enjoying spring-- missing winter wasn't
> really all that bad!
>
> Gary Goers
>
> 37 Amdahl Lane
>
> Kalispell, MT 59901-7768