From: Don Warnaar
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:57 PM
To: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ; David
Subject: [Chrysler300] 1965 Headlight Glass (Driver's Side)?

Hi David,

I have pictures of the '65 300L headlamp and the '65 Imperial headlamp. They are similar but not the same. Attachments are not permitted on the Listserver, so I will send the pictures to you separately.

The entire frames appear to be slightly different in shape, and the glass is definitely different. They both have the narrow horizontal white stripes across the entire glass with plain circular areas directly in front of the headlamps where the light shines through. However the main difference in the glass is that the 300L has a black and gold decal border around the glass with a crown design at the center top location. The Imperial does not have a border. Oddly enough, you might think the Imperial would have had the crown design (Crown Imperial) and the Chrysler would not.

The 300, 300L and New Yorker have the glass covered headlamps, which I think are identical. The Newport did not.

I heard that the reason they eliminated the glass covers the next year was that snow would not melt on the glass as it did on the warm headlamps. They did retain them on the Imperial for 1966, probably because low production did not justify the retooling expense. If the snow was the problem, I wonder how modern cars that all have molded plastic covers do not have the problem. Maybe the lamps get hotter and radiate enough heat to the covers?

Don Warnaar