RE: [Chrysler300] Selling a 300

Thanks to Noel for a far more comprehensive discussion of the issues surrounding income and losses of collector cars. Tax return treatments are complex and fraught with pitfalls. Anyone that plans to sell a valuable asset should consult with their tax professional prior to embarking on the transaction. The family income level, the purpose of owning the vehicle and may other factors affect the tax treatment of a sale as outlined below by Noel. Buyer and seller beware!!

From: cpaviper@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cpaviper@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2013 10:23 PM
To: Tom
Cc: jerrylindsay300h@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Listserver Chrysler Club; Terry Mctaggart
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Selling a 300

Hello Group,

Adding to what Tom has laid out - the U.S. tax regulations provide for 3 classifications from which an owner is considered - Dealer, Investor, Collector - and different income tax outcomes result under each of these. State and local sales/use tax issues are outside this income tax discussion.

Dealer - someone engaged in the trade or business of selling, primarily to customers. Court cases further define Dealer status. The U.S. Supreme Court stated the taxpayer must be involved in the activity with continuity and regularity, and the primary purpose must be for income or profit. Dealers are subject to ordinary income tax rates on their taxable income; they also benefit from their net business losses.

Investor - buys and sells primarily for investment, rather than for personal use and enjoyment, or as a trade or business. Investors can deduct their investment expenses as an other itemized deduction subject to income limitation. Investors can also report capital loss on sale. The courts have examined various factors (Dealer vs. Investor), including -

*	purpose for which the property was acquired
*	purpose for which it was held
*	frequency, continuity and substantiality of sales
*	duration of ownership
*	use of proceeds from sale of the property
*	business of the taxpayer
*	time and effort devoted to sales activities re the asset in question, by developing or improving that asset, soliciting customers, and advertising

   Indicators of Investment -

*	investment purpose was of primary importance
*	collector must intend to hold the [300] for investment (collector's financial position, investment history, believes [300] is an inflation hedge, and whether collector has made personal declarations of investment purpose and intention)
*	consulting with experts on purchases
*	reading pertinent publications
*	participating in collection-related activities
*	devoting time to the collection
*	making an effort to display the collection publicly, so as to enhance its value
*	developing expertise about the collection
*	keeping business-like records and using a business-like method of accounting for the collection

Collector - buys and sells primarily for personal pleasure; is neither dealer nor investor. Ordinarily may not deduct expenses or losses. The U.S. long-term capital gain rate for collectibles is 28%. A Collector's expenses may be deductible as an other itemized deduction, up to the amount of income derived from that activity.

Tom also mentions the possibility of a tax-deferred (Section 1031) exchange transaction, that's available to Dealers and to Investors, but not to Collectors. There's a clear incentive for this purpose to report the transaction as an Investor. It's important to note that the sales proceeds must be fully deposited into a tax-deferred escrow account, to be reinvested in the replacement vehicle, in addition to several other technical requirements that must be fulfilled.

There's yet another type of exchange - "Involuntary Conversion" (Section 1033) exchange in casualty loss circumstances such as flood, fire or theft damage, and reinvestment of insurance proceeds received. Many great cars were badly damaged here in the past week with the Chicago area flooding we've had in the past few days. In this type of exchange, the owner can receive the cash proceeds, and has until the end of the 2nd tax year following the casualty loss year to reinvest these proceeds to defer a taxable gain.

And, note - collectibles are not allowed in self-directed retirement - IRA, SEP - accounts.

Documentation is key! Build your story around your tax position. These comments just begin to touch upon the issues that come into play, and there are significant gray areas within which you can form your own interpretations.

Noel Hastalis

Burr Ridge, IL

F coupe

  _____