Re: [Chrysler300] Selling a 300

Yanno,

    I may be a bit naive here - or just out of the loop  but, aside from
cars selling in the hundreds of thousands, people sell, trade  in, and
exchange cars all over the place without ever saying a word to IRS and,  to my
knowledge, IRS seldom, if ever, asks.  Does it matter if you trade in  your car
for more than its worth, or if the local dealer is paying $5,500.00 for
anything you can drive or tow in, if you buy a new car?  Are you really  going
to file and tell IRS "I may have received more than the car was worth and
thereby received income?"

    Look at your local car trader magazine and you  will probably see 100
or more cars which will sell without anyone ever  asking, regardless of the
price.  If I sold my G coupe for $65,000.00 would  I have to file a form
telling IRS my purchase price plus what I put into  the car to get it where it
is, just to show them that I didn't make a  profit?  The answer is that I
would sell it and not say a word and, if they  asked, I could then show them
that lost money on it, but I'm certainly not going  to be the one to bring the
matter up.  Practicality should be a  consideration, even in the midst of
IRS regulations.  Just my  opinion.

Regards,

Pete Fitch

In a message dated 4/23/2013 2:57:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,