Re: [Chrysler300] Distributor

Hi Tom,

Are you sure the balancer hasn't "slipped". The old rubber can allow the timing marks to rotate relative to the base bolted to the crank shaft.

I've noticed that my G is more sensitive to timing changes than virtually any other car I have owned. I had my distributor rebuilt, originally with the points, then after an attempt at detailing things that went awry, I changed to Pertronix and have been happy.

Best regards,

Richard Osborne

On May 21, 2013, at 4:52 PM, Tom <tdcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Since rebuilding my engine in the F, I am getting pinging when accelerating and when climbing hills. Carbs and timing are set according to factory specs; do you think my distributor needs to be recurved? Does anyone in the club know someone that can do this?
>
> Tom Cox
>
> This is an old posting on the listserver:
>
> Distributor/Timing
>
> In 1996, John Characky rebuilt my engine and we put late model 440 heads (452 unleaded) on it. With those, I set the timing at 12 degrees BTDC. As the years passed by, I gradually had to back off on my timing and as recently as last October, I set the timing at 5 degrees BTDC. Well, I had purchased a spare distributor at Spring Fling and decided to install a Pertronix unit AND, have the distributor recurved. I told the technician, who has a well known speed shop here in the San Fernando Valley, that I wanted a lot of zip off the line but no pinging using 91 octane gas. He said he could do it. When I got the distributor back, the initial vacuum was 7 degrees, mechanical advance of 10 degrees and he advised me to set the timing at 14 - 16 degrees BTDC. I set the timing at 15 degrees giving me a total of 35 degrees of advance and took the car for a test drive. I punched it from a dead stop and I have never experienced anything quite like the acceleration the F now has. It literally jolted me back in the seat. It burned rubber and took off like a jack rabbit. I tested it on some steep hills and I could not get it to ping. The tech had told me that I would experience this kind of acceleration but what he did to the distributor would have no effect on road or higher speeds. The reason for me relating this is that perhaps those of you who are looking for higher octane gas need look no further than a good distributor technician. I am well satisfied.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)