[Chrysler300] 1963 Chrysler 300 Torqueflight

[Chrysler300] 1963 Chrysler 300 Torqueflight

Hi All,

My '63 torqueflight was rebuilt about 3000 miles (2 years) ago and initially
filled with Type F trans fluid.  When I revved the engine in neutral, the
car would drift forward.  I believe he initially took the original drum out
and used a later model drum because he said the early aluminum drums had
some type of leaking seal problem (as I remember the story).  When I
complained about the drifting forward in neutral, the guy took out the
trans, put back the original drum (possibly adjusted the gap on the clutch
plates?) and everything seemed to be fine.  I asked him, " did you refill
the trans with Type F trans fluid?".  His reply was, "No, but we used the
latest and greatest trans fluid (Dextron 5, I believe) and it is better than
that older stuff".  At that point, I just took the car and it seemed to be
OK.  Now, following the trip to St. Louis, I can't get it to downshift.  If
I push the 2nd gear button manually, it will downshift, but it will not do
so automatically.

Is there a possibility that the trans fluid may be the issue?

Before the initial rebuild, it used to chirp between 1st and 2nd gear.  Now,
no chirp.  It is more of a gradual shift rather than a hard shift.  This is
not what I am used to.

There was at least one problem with the "Sprag Spring" ,which was the reason
for the original rebuild, but now I think there are other problems.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

300ly,

Mark Lindahl

<*> Your email settings: