Re: [Chrysler300] 1963 Chrysler 300 Torqueflight

if the clearence  on the forward clutch  is to tight, the car will tend to creep forward in  neutrel . your trransmission guy knew this, so he loosened the clearence  a little in the forward clutch.. i cant figure out why he would take out the  new style high clutch and put the older one back in though.. now you have a problem with either the govenor  or the valve body ( the no down shift problem ) . if the clearences are right  in the clutch packs  the transmission wil shift very crisp   with type f or dextron lll        bob hayen 406 752 5152-----
  From: kmaniak@xxxxxxx
  To: mplindahl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ; chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Sunday, June 02, 2013 1:10 PM
  Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] 1963 Chrysler 300 Torqueflight

  Hi Mark:

  Here is my "two-cents" for what it's worth, tapping into my "half-vast" knowledge of Torqueflites and automatic transmissions, in general.

  Fluid - Back in 1963, I was aware of two types of automatic transmission fluid, Type A, which was specified for the Torqueflite, and Type F (F meaning Ford), which was specified for the Ford C-4 and C-6 transmissions. Type A fluid was known for reducing friction between the friction material and metal mating surfaces during gear changes, while Type F was known for promoting friction between friction material and metal mating surfaces. Type A fluid was later replaced by the various forms of Dextron and Dextron has the same friction quality as Type A. I run Dextron in all my Chryslers without any issues. The fluid you choose to run in your car is up to you.

  Drift in Neutral - The early aluminum Torqueflites use a cable between the shifter and the valve body. This cable has an adjusting wheel at the point where the cable attaches to the transmission case. The tendency for the car to either drift forward or backward with "Neutral" selected on the shifter is a clear indication that the shifter cable is out of adjustment. The factory service manual shows the procedure for properly adjusting the cable so that drift is eliminated.

  Kickdown - Wide Open Throttle (WOT) kickdown of the transmission requires that the throttle linkage and associated transmission kickdown linkage is properly attached and adjusted. If your car does not kickdown to second with WOT, then I suspect the linkage has either become detached or is out of adjustment. The factory service manual specifies the proper adjustment procedure for the throttle and transmission linkage.

  Chris - the K MANIAC
  Concord, California