RE: [Chrysler300] Corbin (wire) Clamp Pliers

RE: [Chrysler300] Corbin (wire) Clamp Pliers

To Mark and All:

If you guys have NOT used the flexible cable style of hose clamp pliers, you
have not lived.  In my opinion, they are light years ahead of the old plier
style.

You place the hose clamp in the sliding clamp end of the cable and then
squeeze on the plier end of the cable, then you lock the pliers at that
opening.  Then you have both hands clear to place the hose clamp over the
hose and adjust its location on the end of the hose.  All this time, the
locked pliers are holding the hose clamp open.  Then simply take the pliers
in hand and release the lock and remove the other end of the cable from the
tightened cable clamp.

Where the flexible cable style really shines is when you are trying to
install or remove that "Corbin" clamp from the water pump or down in some
hidden hole.  Unless you remove the fan and radiator, you simply cannot get
the regular pliers style down there.  It has to be clamped at a right angle
to the hose clamp and the old style pliers are too long to fit between the
clamp and the radiator.

I prefer the flexible cable ones manufactured by "Astro Pneumatic Tool
(9409A)" as that tool seems to have the heaviest flexible cable of all the
others I have shopped for.  As you use the cable type, the cable will
stretch a bit.  The "Astro" version comes with a cable adjuster sleeve that
you can use as the cable stretches over time.  Amazon has them for $38.78
plus S&H and tax if applicable.

See:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003D3N7YW

This is one of the slickest tools that I own, a real skinned knuckle saver.

>From Big John Mc Adams

(In SoCal)