[Chrysler300] Fw: News Flash! Hemi not stuck!

From: Don Verity
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2013 9:30 AM
Subject: Re: News Flash! Hemi not stuck!

Hi Gang,
I had a few set backs with the C but all is well now. The first was a lack of fuel getting to the rear carb. It had plenty of fuel pump flow, but wasn’t getting into the bowl. After taking the top off the carb to check for blockages, I finally traced it to the gasket in the fuel filter bowl. The rubber gasket had swelled up so much it was not letting the fuel flow through. Right after I fixed that, the 56 year old connecter line between the carbs decided it had held fuel long enough and started leaking as I was cranking it. As I didn’t have another line, I bypassed the front carb and ran off the rear. It started, but didn’t idle anywhere as good as it did before. I let it alone so I could think about it, and by the next day I realized that the front carb also has an idle circuit. I fashioned a steel line between them and it is running fine again. I changed the oil and filter too, and it doesn’t smoke nearly as much.
The push button mechanism was hopelessly rusted. Luckily, I had a replacement. Changing these things is not a real fun job, but I managed to get it done and now the shifter works, although the push to start button doesn’t. Probably some other wiring under the dash. I also got the emergency brake freed up and working properly (even the warning light). The transmission goes forward and reverse, and I backed it out into the driveway so I could clean up all the mouse nests that came out of the exhaust when it started.
So up to this point I have a car that runs well and moves, with working lights, directional lights, horn, blower motor, and all but the gas gage working. I’ve also got most of the headliner out, and the rest of the panels stripped of the cow hide upholstery. The drivers window works, and the drivers rear goes about half way down before it gets stuck. Three trash bags and one full shop vac, all in less than 2 weeks! Should be able to make the Spring meet at this rate. I have to  go back to working on other peoples cars though, so I can afford to buy the brake parts that will be needed, and the other things to make it truly road worthy.
Anyone know if there is somebody making body mounts (the steel brackets, not the rubber pads) for these cars? I can get inner and outer rockers, but body mounts seem to be to be nowhere.
Here is a link to the engine running. http://youtu.be/z47PewlctMg
300-Cly,
Don

Don,
      Great news.   Thanks for the update.  It's really great to hear about something that almost sounds too good to be true.
Maybe you can leave the interior and get the brakes done for the Spring meet.
Keep the updates coming.
Thanks,
Joe

Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2013 10:01 AM

Hi Gang,
I thought I should probably share this story with the rest of the on-line group, as it makes for a good success story.
Thanks for the compliment Rob, I do plan to drive it to the meet!

Big news today is the Hemi came to life yesterday!! I did the rebuild on the distributer and put the rear carb back on. When I checked for spark there was a nice big arc. I took off the tank line to the pump and ran a hose into a gas can. After making sure I had a fire extinguisher in place, I put some gas down the carb and cranked. It fired almost right away, and died as it ran out of fuel. I did this 3 or 4 time before the carb filled up and it stayed running. Lots of smoke, but it was actually pretty smooth. It even idled when I let off the gas! Considering it sat for over 20 years, and all I did to the carbs was free up the linkage, this is way cool. No funny noises from the bottom end, and no oil leaks, just a hint of the solid lifters doing their thing.   The oil pressure gauge showed good pressure too. The water pump didn’t even leak (yet). The generator even worked. The power steering does seem to have an issue though. The belt start to slip after running awhile, and the pump hoses get pretty warm to the touch. It actually steered itself when I first started it. I’m hoping with some fresh fluid this works itself out as the pump is extremely quiet. Today I’ll try and get the e-brake and push button unit working so I can drive around the block.
300Cly,
Don

From: Rob Kern

Coming from someone else I would not have gotten excited.  But coming from someone with the suname of Verity...it is a significant bit of truth!  Sweet!  Drive it to the CT Meet!  Fractional achievement is monumental in our hobby!  300’ly, Rob Kern
Keep the C updates coming. It is motivational to hear someone is getting things done.
So sorry to hear the interior is going away. I agree with Brian. It was really special. Even Doug
would lack the words to describe it.

I made some more progress yesterday. I put a good battery in and attempted to jump the starter relay. I got the relay to click, but nothing from down below, so I took the starter out. In the process I found out what the mysterious switch on the side of the seat plastic was for. The solenoid for the starter was run through this switch and back to the relay. I cleaned all the connections on the starter and bench tested it. I made another wire for the solenoid and after putting the starter back, it turns over just fine. I found that it has no spark, so I pulled the distributer and found only one set of corroded points inside. I’ll put that on the dist machine today and straighten it out. I also removed the rear carb and got the fast idle cam freed up and the secondary’s working. Lots more room to get the dist out with that carb off. Today I’ll get it sparking and see if it will fire up!
300-Cly,
Don

That is good news indeed!
Keep us informed of the progress.
J.Yves

I just got my new 300-C home Saturday and have been working to get rid of the “cow hide” seat covers. (those who saw the pictures at the meet know what I mean). Today I pulled the plugs and gave the cylinders a marvel oil bath. I removed the fan and belt for easier access to the crank bolt, and with a medium sized heave it turned! I only moved it back and forth a small amount in order to give the marvel oil some time to work, but it looks like it could be a runner! What a relief to not have a seized engine!
300-Cly,
Don