[Chrysler300] Driving a Classic Meat Locker

[Chrysler300] Driving a Classic Meat Locker

Hello 300’ly to all!
    Last night Mopsy (my 300C) was delivered home to me after being in the shop for 5 weeks having a completely new front & rear A/C system installed.  The only thing left of the original factory system is the 392 Hemi that turns the compressor!  I replaced the factory front A/C with a Vintage Air Mark IV unit and the rear with an Old Air Products triple coil dual A/C unit.  I retained the Model 900 set up for heat and defrosting only.  The compressor is a Sanden Model 709 (larger capacity for dual unit applications) and purchased a parallel flow condenser which is 1” wider than the original tube and fin device.  New driers front and rear and all new wiring and hoses were obtained.  JM Custom Fabricators near Vancouver, WA makes a Sanden mounting bracket for the 331, 354, and 392 Hemi which fit perfectly.  We had to use larger belts (Gates 9630) for the dual pulley application but still kept them from strumming with the 331 Hemi dual pulley belt tensioner I had installed for the old system.  Refrigerant is 134A.  The Mark IV unit mounted easily under the dash with plenty of room for the refrigerant and condensate hoses to be routed through the firewall above the passenger foot well.  The dash doesn’t vibrate anymore when idling or going over RR crossings. The 1100 cubic ft./minute condenser fan was mounted in front of the condenser.  Trinary compressor switch employed.  This set-up will allow you to hang meat in the vehicle interior on an August triple digit SW Oklahoma day and it will be cold!  I marvel at the smoothness of the engine with the compressor engaged vs. with the RV-2 set-up.  The Sanden weighs only 11 lbs. vs. 47 for the RV-2 with mounting brackets.  No longer need idle set at 875 rpm.  Now back to 675 with A/C engaged.  So glad I jumped ship on the A/C system.  The Model 900 at best was only cool and that was when it was less than 80 degrees and on the highway. 10 years of tinkering with the old set-up and now thrilled to be weather comfortable 365 days/yr. in Oklahoma!  Many thanks go to Josh Mishler for advice regarding the Mark IV unit (which he has in his ‘58 Buick), George McKovich with bracket guidance for the compressor, Jeff Carter for encouragement to do the project, Bob Porecca and Keith Boonstra for sharing their experience with under dash MOPAR unit installations and George Glavis who enlightened me at Benny Buckner’s salvage yard when he enlisted my aid in removing a Model 900 unit from an engineless ‘57 Imperial  (and for purchasing my RV-2 compressor, old condenser and drier for a C restoration project he is engaged in).   Hmmm...how far a drive is White Sands, New Mexico?   Rob Kern