Re: [Chrysler300] wheel sizes for Chrysler cars

Re: [Chrysler300] wheel sizes for Chrysler cars

John:

Sorry for the late arrival to the party but, I was in the same frame of mind with my 300L and I looked carefully into the whole idea.  Some of what I learned:

 - 5 x 4.5 is NOT the same as the newer Chrysler wheels 115mm bolt pattern, and probably a very bad idea.  Although the wheels may go onto the lugs, none of the nuts will seat correctly and that is surely a problem, possibly catastrophic.

 - OEM wheels for (at least) mid-60's Chryslers are engineered to be hub-centric, meaning some of the support for the wheel / hub combo is from the hub, and it's contact with the center hole of the wheel, in addition to the lug nuts.

 - The offset (or backspace) will effect what will fit also - the newer wheels generally have the tire much further inboard.

 - The angle of the lug hole face that the nut is in contact with is another issue to contend with.

After my research I have chosen a 2003ish 17x8 Mustang "Magnum 500" style - the tires off my 2008 Charger will be rotated on as they partially wear down (fresh tires are important) - I will use a spacer to move the wheels outboard 1/2" to clear the steering and rear leafs - the lug holes are the correct 45 degree pitch (and 4.5" bolt pattern) - and the look fills the wheelwells as I wanted.  Oh yeah, they only cost me $40 each!

I'm giving up the "hub-centric" part of the engineering but, I won't use the car to push those kinds of limits anyway.

There are other possibilities too - spacers that bolt onto your current lugs, and then can be made with any bolt pattern you want for the wheels - hub-centric also - but those must be 1" spacers minimum - too much for my application.

Anyway, let me know if I can be of any more help.  Good luck finding the right combo.

Dan Richardson

300L Family Heirloom