RE: [Chrysler300] paint

"Lucky":

I had a Jeep and a 300K convertible (picture attached and available to
others on request) painted with the volatile-free base coat and clear coat
here in CA.  Both turned out very nice.  The paint and clear coat are VERY
expensive and there are different grades of the clear coat, according to my
painter.  He selected a premium clear coat for the K.  The manufacturer
probably claims improved UV resistance, longer life & etc.  My painter did
not do a great job of matching the paint color to the original Roman Red, in
spite of using a computer scan of a good sample from an original salesman's
folder.  If you are trying to match the original color, be prepared to work
with your painter with numerous spray samples and some additional tinting to
achieve the best match.  The '93 Jeep red was apparently a current formula
and was a great match.  Temperature and humidity in the spray booth may
impact the results and cleanliness is maybe ahead of Godliness there.  I'd
inspect the facilities and techniques of any painter before selecting one.

We do see a lot of late-model cars with peeling clear coat out here as many
sit outside all or most of the time.  However our red '05 Durango sits
outside while the collector cars are nestled in the garage-and still looks
great-even after sitting outside on a dealer's lot for 18 months before I
bought it.  Personally, I think the law against volatile paint is typical
California absurdity with little or no benefit to the environment.  There is
probably some health benefit to the painters who may not all dress in white
coveralls and breathe supplied air.

Merry Christmas, Joe and all readers.

C300K'ly,

Rich Barber