[Chrysler300] Cam specs different years.

[Chrysler300] Cam specs different years.

I have run into some issues trying to identify 300 C or D cam specs, I have 2 what are claimed to be 300D cams, but have no ID beyond 3 numbers stamped poorly,  near gear , in rough part of cam casting..sound right? Any one have a C or D cam they know is real , with description? I do not have those stamped numbers handy.

This brings up looking in aftermarket; only 392 “in production” “listings” seem to be Comp Thumper series, but those are hydraulic for 392. In looking more, hot heads has a 280 cam , solid and hydraulic, from which info I ordered a hydraulic for a non 300 392, and it turns out to be an Isky cam; Might be too much for a letter car. One person in their parts lists  had a 270 Isky mega cam, both seem in right area, but was unsure what original MOPAR duration was.(for 375/380 HP cam) ; I did buy that 270 cam, price was right . That started me thinking about hi po hemi cam specs ,355 hp 354 and 390 HP 392. How hot did Chrysler go on cams?  Having been young once , I also made the mistake of overcamming. Much over 280 is asking for it , especially with old Torque flight converter. (stall when you push D)

Without taking sides, a modern hydraulic is probably better than a 50’s solid; for one thing you should pick up lift due to lack of running gap, for same lift spec, and under 6K modern hydraulics do not cause problems ; and adjustment of solids, esp with adj pushrods, goes away, along with a big oil soaked messy hassle.....in going through all this also found out solid lifter push rods for  C D ,probably all solid A block hemi, have 3/8 balls on both ends, hydraulics 5/16 ; on my supposedly “D” engine someone used 5/16 push rods, 5/16 hydraulic lifters  with D rockers and supposedly D cam, all wrong . But Hot Heads makes 3/8 by 5/16 pushrods ( might be adjustable but lock them) so you could run hydraulic cam and lifters with D adjustable rockers , using Chevy approach of one turn tight beyond clearance click. But that means set up hot and oily. Not good.

This brings up more generally ram cam specs , long ram, and J cam specs. I had a J , much more cam in it than F , or so it seemed ; ----and what was in 400 HP F?-

While a lot to ask, it strikes me someone in club has all this at finger tips , maybe a list? Note also that difference in duration between advertised lift and lift at .050 duration in this range is about 50 degrees ; so a 280 is about 230 at .05.

Comments welcome ; it would be good for all of us to know this data; and then comes how to tell what cam is what. .

Also does anyone know a simple way to tell hydraulic from solid grinds? I know it can be done at cam manufacturer by some kind of cam plotter they have , which would show accell ramps on solids before main lift event . Maybe dial indicator on lifter in partially assembled engine, and plot it ? This problem will get worse, due to parts hoards with no real history, and now they are very old piles indeed.

Thank you,--as I say comments welcome.

John Grady