Re: [Chrysler300] HP block stamp on early 300s

Re: [Chrysler300] HP block stamp on early 300s

Rich, Bob and All:
The 300D engine numbers are variable on the microfilm.  They start out the year with just the last 4 digits only----no 583N or 3N58.  I didn't look at all (I'm not that nutty), but by around 1078 they were using the 3N58 XXXX in the style of the C300, 300B and 300C---but without the "E".  In less than 90 cars, they were writing the engine number on the IBM card as 583N XXXX.  Not long thereafter, it settled in to mostly 3N58 XXXX.  I have very few actual comparisons of Chrysler's written number vs what was actually stamped into the block, but do have that comparison for engine #1186.  Yup, you guessed it!  The number on the microfilm copy of the factory IBM card is 3N58 1186 and the actual block stamping is 58N3 1186!!  The 1958 Service Manual states the 300D engine number to be 58N3 XXXX.  Finally, nearer the end of the 300D production, many, if not most, IBM build cards had just the last four digits written in.  Apparently the plant just gave up on the prefix order.
Anyway, that is all I know about the 300D engine numbers.  Regardless of the order, a 1958 engine should have a "3" in its prefix somewhere to be a real "D" engine.
300ly, Gil Cunningham