Re: [Chrysler300] First law of hydraulic systems

Don, I couldn't agree more. I really hate to read about things like that. I own a 1963 E Type Jaguar. In order to replace the clutch in that car, it's necessary to remove the transmission. Doing  that requires removal of the drive shaft which (at least for me) requires dropping the rear suspension. Not a Saturday morning job. I have seen pictures of cars like mine which had a sawzall taken to the tranny tunnel, firewall and parts of the bell housing,  which apparently allowed the bell housing to be separated from the engine and slid back enough to replace the clutch. Awful.
Mike Moore
On Feb 25, 2014, at 7:19 AM, Don Verity <d.verity@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Rich,
There is absolutely no reason to cut a hole in the floor to get to the kick down shaft seal. Anybody that would cut a hole in the floor to do a simple job should not be working on cars. I have done many of these seal jobs without removing the trans, or cutting anything.
The speedometer gear has an internal seal, and an O-ring around the parts that goes into the case. If these were changed when it was “overhauled” properly, it should not be leaking.
Don

Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 12:50 AM
Subject: [Chrysler300] First law of hydraulic systems

As per Fluid mechanics Professor:  The first law of hydraulic systems is that hydraulic systems leak.

Our 300K goes into the tranny shop to assess and cure bad leaks from the newly-overhauled unit.  Previously, another mechanic observed both the selector cable and the speedometer cables were leaking.  He was able to heat-shrink-wrap one of the cables, but not the other due to the end device being too big.  I robbed my parts car speedo cable and will have it heat-shrink-wrapped and installed.  My restoration guy says there is a mechanical (kickdown?) arm on top of the tranny that was leaking, but it was inaccessible while the tranny was in the car.  He then created an access hole in the front floor to assess and address any leakage from that point.  I’ll keep you posted and ask that you pass on your findings as to source of leaks.

C300K’ly,

Rich Barber

Brentwoode, CA