From: Rich Barber <c300@xxxxxxx>
To: 'Tony Rinaldi' <awrdoc@xxxxxxxxx>; crc <crc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Chrysler300 <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: MRS954 <MRS954@xxxxxxx>; tonysru2 <tonysru2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, Mar 9, 2014 2:43 pm
Subject: [Chrysler300] C-300 designation

The cover of the 1955 Chrysler Service Manual lists the C-67 WINDSOR, C-68 NEW YORKER, C-69 IMPERIAL AND C-70 CROWN IMPERIAL. Page 1 of the manual lists these four models plus “and C-300 (Chrysler)”. The number “300” only appears on the hood and trunk medallions and the wheel covers of ‘55 and ’56 300’s, but every car guy recognized the 300 when they saw one. Chrysler Motors Corporation’s 1955-58 Passenger Car Parts List lists the various 300 models as: C68-300 for 1955, C72-300 in 1956, C76-300 in 1957 and LC3-S in 1958. Thus 1955-57 300’s were listed as subsets of New Yorkers and the 1958 300D had its own designation, “LC3-S”.

The Chrysler Corporation used the “C” prefix for its various Chrysler models for twenty three years, beginning with the C-1 or C1 in 1935—(the Airflow) and ending with the C76-300 in 1957. Chrysler produced many innovative models during those years. I believe the fact that Walter P. Chrysler’s and Briggs Cunningham’s last names both began with C is just a coincidence—as is the fact that “coupe” and “convertible” both begin with “C”. I don’t think Briggs’ C-1 was any more copying the 1935 Airflow than the 2009-11 Mercedes Benz C-300 was copying the fabulous 1955 Chrysler c300.

There is ample material to document the work with early Chrysler hemi’s by Briggs Cunningham (and many others) led Chrysler to use the racing success of the big Chryslers with hopped-up hemi’s as a very effective aid in marketing their entire line. Win on Sunday, sell on Monday! Do you think they were aware they just started the horsepower war?

When people start discussions as to whether the first Chrysler 300 was a letter car, I speculate that it should surprise no one that Chrysler did not anticipate the success of the Chrysler 300 marque—which survives to this day. And, that it would have taken a lot of prescience and guts to call the first 300 a Chrysler 300-A—in anticipation of a nearly 60-year run (with 7 and 19-year gaps). 1972-78 and 1980-1998 no Chrysler 300’s in their model line).

C300’ly,

Rich Barber (mesmerized for life by a 1955 C-300 in Des Moines in 1955)

Brentwood, CA (expecting the end of the monsoon season tonight with maybe 2” total in the last month)