Re: [Chrysler300] general reply on starter question plus new question

The mini starters that came out in 1988 on the 318+360 will fit every rear wheel drive engine Mother produced from 1962 through the 1980s and into the '90s. I say 1962 because I do not think they will bolt to the cast iron torque flight however I could be wrong on that? In some applications the larger of the two wire studs will have to be shortened just a little so contact is not made with the side of the block when the starter is in the mounted position. The key is to test fit and shorten that one stud if necessary and then attach the two wires in the final operating position coming around the front of the starter BEFORE installing it. DO NOT TRY TO COME OVER THE TOP OF THE STARTER BODY TO MOUNT THOSE TWO WIRES, BRING THOSE STARTER WIRES AROUND THE FORWARD EDGE TO ATTACH THEM.  AND OH YEAH, if you perchase one from the wrecking yards they're $40-$50 used and they'll still out live you, but you might have to remove the copper extension they came with. But do not leave the the yard without the two nuts that mount those two wires on the studs. Their special and Mother changed them a couple times over the years.

From: Larry Jett <LarryWJett@xxxxxxxxx>
To: rinandal <rinandvan@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2014 12:22 PM
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] general reply on starter question plus new question

I am curious as well.  Have a gifted new-in-the-box example just sitting on the shelf awaiting the need in the future.
On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 8:26 AM, rinandal <rinandvan@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,
For those that replied thanks for the info. The answer appears to be gear reduction starter for 1964 300's.

This leads me to the next question. Anyone starting there cars with an after market "mini" gear drive starter? If so any recommendations?

Thanks for all the input.

Van