Re: [Chrysler300] Idle speed adjustment question

Re: [Chrysler300] Idle speed adjustment question

Chris, how did you find it had actually skipped a tooth?

If I time my engine "by ear", i.e., advance until I get max rpm, then back off slightly, then when I drive up the hill to my house and the pistons start trying to change cylinders I back off some, if I time it that way it is with the timing mark apparently way more advanced than 10 degrees, A few years ago when I noticed that I decided the outer part of the damper was slipping so I bought a new damper-same thing.
I have never seen an engine which actually skipped a timing tooth. I can more easily imagine engines where the timing sprockets weren't correctly aligned.
I also may be running into problems from the rebuild in 1984 where the builder, a top race engine builder in Illinois, did me some favors because he knew the car was going to California, and he knew the days of tetraethyl lead were growing short. So he had a custom designed camshaft made by Barnes. Its purpose was to lower compression ratio by adjusting the timing of when valves opened and closed. I never liked the way the engine ran since then. I recently found what is probably a 300H camshaft which I plan on installing.
Gasoline  quality is another issue I suppose.
Best, Mike Moore
300H
On Apr 19, 2014, at 4:05 PM, kmaniak@xxxxxxxx Moore