RE: [Chrysler300] Need heads for '64 ram K

RE: [Chrysler300] Need heads for '64 ram K

All:

First, thanks for the input on sourcing 300K ram heads.  Several options were forwarded and I have sent these to my friend with the 300K that found out the heads on his car had been changed.  Mine are OK and undergoing servicing as part of the rebuild of the engine from my parts car.  Corrections and additions to the text below are welcomed.

Steve:

I’ll probably display here that I’m not fully acquainted with all the details of the ram-inducted Chrysler 300 engines but believe there was only one ram-inducted engine available in Chrysler 300’s in 1964—it was the 390 HP version with 9.6:1 compression ratio, solid tappets, adjustable rocker arms and (possibly-I see no options in the '63 or '64 parts books other than a low-compression export piston-which may be it)) slightly dished pistons to lower the compression ratio.  The standard 300K engine in 1964 was a 360 HP engine with a single 4-bbl carb, hydraulic tappets, fixed rocker arms and a 10.1:1 compression ratio.  I’ve seen a note recently that distinguished guru George Riehl could find no physical differences in the two 300K engines to explain the lower compression ratio in the ram-inducted engine.  Perhaps the dished pistons were a late and poorly-documented addition to reduce the pseudo high compression from the ram effect???  More from George on cams and engines at:  http://www.chrysler300club.com/tech/cam/gk.html	Here, he indicates the larger exhaust valves were introduced in the '63-'64 ram engine heads.

Earlier 300’s(1960-1961) offered a choice of long rams or short rams with a 375 HP version of the long ram engine and a 400 HP version of the short ram engine.  The standard engine in the ’62 300H was a 380 HP version with inline carbs.  A 405 HP version of the short ram engine appears to have been offered in 1962 but there seems to be some doubt as to whether any were actually built.

I read that the '59 300E engine and the '60-'61 long-ram-inducted engines had hydraulic lifters.  Short ram engines plus the inline dual quad 413 of 1962 all had solid lifters & adjustable rocker arm heads.  Compression ratios, camshaft specifications and maximum rated torques varied over the years and I don’t know when the larger exhaust valves came in.

Much has been written about these engines and the concept is still valid and in use today.  The shorter induction tubes in today’s engines reflect the desire to have the ram effect come in at a higher RPM.  The max-wedge version of the similar 426 engine claimed to be a ram-inducted engine but sported a much more compact intake manifold.  Few stock engines now offer solid lifters.

Here’s a little summary of the 413 CID engines from Wikipedia.  It does not seem to cover the higher-output short ram engines.  Wikipedia notes that a 420 HP full-race max wedge version of the 413 was offered in 1962 (but maybe only in Plymouths and Dodges?).  I found a torque value for the early short-ram engines to be 465 ft-lbs @ 3,600 RPM.  The 400 HP was @ 5,200 RPM.

1959–1961 with 4-Barrel Carb Max Brake Horsepower: 355 @ 4600 rpm Max Torque: 525 @ 2800 rpm Stroke: 3.75 Bore: 4.1875 Compression: 10.0
1959 with 2 × 4-Barrel Carbs Max Brake Horsepower: 380 @ 5000 rpm Max Torque: 450 @ 3600 rpm Stroke: 3.75 Bore: 4.1875 Compression: 10.0
1960–1961 with 2 × 4-Barrel Carbs Max Brake Horsepower: 375 @ 5000 rpm Max Torque: 495 @ 2800 rpm Stroke: 3.75 Bore: 4.1875 Compression: 10.0
1962: 1965 with 4-Barrel Carb Max Brake Horsepower: 340 @ 4600 rpm Max Torque: 470 @ 2800 rpm Stroke: 3.75 Bore: 4.1875 Compression: 10.1
1962 with 2 × 4-Barrel Carbs Max Brake Horsepower: 380 @ 5000 rpm Max Torque: 495 @ 2800 rpm Stroke: 3.75 Bore: 4.1875 Compression: 10.1
1963: 1965 with 4-Barrel Carb Max Brake Horsepower: 360 @ 4600 rpm Max Torque: 470 @ 2800 rpm Stroke: 3.75 Bore: 4.1875 Compression: 10.1
1963: 1964 with 2 × 4-Barrel Carbs Max Brake Horsepower: 390 @ 4800 rpm Max Torque: 485 @ 3600 rpm Stroke: 3.75 Bore: 4.1875 Compression: 9.6

C300K'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood CA (with a little rain this morning!)