Re: Fwd: [Chrysler300] 300F Brakes

I replaced all the fluid containing brake parts with new ones when I switched over to silicone fluid, and I flushed all the lines as well.  For over 20 years now, never an issue at all.  The fluids can not be intermingled even the slightest bit or the swelling you warn of is very likely.

Steve Albu

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 1:39 PM, Charles Clark <flatheadeng@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Be very careful with silicone fluid. I used them on a Ford master cylinder and it caused the rubber in the master cylinder to swell and would not let the brakes release. Took me a long time to figure this out as I had no idea what was going on as the cups seemly looked fine on inspection.  The brakes were OK until about the third or fourth application and then they would start to lock and soon completely lock up making the car immobile. That is big trouble.

From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steve Albu saforwardlook@xxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300]
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2014 2:02 PM
To: John Lazenby
Cc: Chrysler 300 List
Subject: Re: Fwd: [Chrysler300] 300F Brakes

Yes, the use of silicone fluid will cause the switches to fail frequently as you have pointed out, but while I have the original type switch still on my master cylinder with some wire leads hooked up, it is no longer functional.  Rather, I have rigged up an all electric switch that goes under the dash inside the car that comes from later Chrysler products and works off the brake pedal arm position.  It is now the functional switch.  Since the original switch never seems to leak, I leave it in place so it looks original, but rely on the reliable electric switch instead.  The silicone fluid has been in place for some time and has made the past frequent servicing of the brake system a thing of the past.  I love the silicone fluid and will never go back to the use of conventional brake fluid in any of my cars.

Steve Albu