Re: [Chrysler300] Letter Car Ignition Key

I should clarify further.  My 1957 aluminum keys are the “DPCD” style for the ignition, and the “Golden Lion/C” style for the trunk key (i.e. the trunk keys are round and have the “golden lion” on one side and “C” on the other side).  I have two sets of these keys with original key FOBs.    It is possible that both ignition keys could have been replaced early in the car’s life with the “DPCD” style but that is doubtful because we know the history of the car and it is a very low mileage unrestored car.  That said one would think they would have matched styles from the factory.  However, there may have been a style transition during the 1957 model year.  The illustration on the cover of the 1957 Chrysler owners manual shows the “shorter” “DPCD” style keys in the artists rendering, but page 16 of the manual shows the “longer”  “golden lion/C” style keys.  Go figure.  If there is one thing I’ve learned after 33 years of Chrysler ownership, it is that Chrysler was not particularly consistent.

Carl B

From: C Bilter
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2014 2:21 PM
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Letter Car Ignition Key

The “DPCD” style key blanks were used after 1956.  I have an aluminum set of “DPCD” keys for my 1957 New Yorker.   I also have the original aluminum “Golden Lion” and “C” style keys for the same car (with original key FOB)  like those shown on the web page.

Carl B

Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2014 1:59 PM

Hi Bob,

I do not have the original ignition keys for our 1957 300C. I replaced the
trunk lock Jan 18, 1969 and the key looks the same as those in your picture
of the 1956. The aluminum keys were to soft and broke easily.

John