RE: [Chrysler300] Tension specs on A/C belts

RE: [Chrysler300] Tension specs on A/C belts

Al:

Spec’s for properly tensioning belts on a ‘64K may be found at John Holst’s very useful website—in the ’64 service manual—good for all models-Windsor-Imperial: http://www.jholst.net/64-service-manual/cooling.pdf       Specifications:  Page 7-2,  instructions:  Page 7-9

Alternator with A/C:  Used belt (over ½ hour old):  40 ft-lbf; Brand new belt:  60 ft-lbf.  (lbf is an abbreviation for pounds force).

The manual describes the process using special tool C-3841 which somehow engages the exterior of the alternator and has a ½” square hole for engagement by a torque wrench.  The manual also describes the belt deflection method as measured half-way between the alternator and compressor with five lbf applied:  New belt:  ¼”, used belt:  3/8”.

I did just receive a device like the special tool C-3832 used to apply torque to the power steering pump for tensioning its belt .  Proper torque on the power steering pump is 45 ft-lbf for new or used belts on all models.  Bob Merritt manufactures and markets this cool little tool.

I did find one “Fan Belt Tightener” tool at:  http://www.ctatools.com/catalogs/2013MasterCatalog/11-16EngineExternal.pdf            (#2705).    Available at Sears, Amazon and at least one eBay site.  Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-2705-Belt-Tightener/dp/B00AZJYFE8          It appears to hook onto a protuberance on an alternator and has the hole for the torque wrench drive.   One might find this tool at a local auto parts store.  I’m going to order one online.  Looks like it beats the calibrated crowbar system.

C300K’ly,

Rich Barber