[Chrysler300] Chrysler300] 3spd stick availability for 1963

In case anyone may be interested, I have a stick and hook ups taken from a 61 Newport Convert years ago that could sure use a new home.

Dave Schwandt

From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of 'C Bilter' cbilter@xxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300]
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2015 5:47 PM
To: Stanley cOTLER; Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] 3spd stick availability for 1963

Stanley and all:

The 1963 Newport (and Sport Series 300, so this is 300 related) came standard with a HD 3 spd manual transmission mounted on the floor.  It was not the same as the 3spd manual in the letter cars, at least in the case of the J (more on this below).  The standard rear end on the Newport with manual was a 3.23, with 2.76 optional per AMA specs.  The 300 Sport series with manual or TF had a 3.23.  AMA specs list the manual as synchro in 2nd and 3rd gear only; service manual implies it was all synchro.   It used a 7- tooth speedo gear with a running change to 8-tooth.

The 300J had TF standard but a HD 3spd manual was available on special request (option code 341).  It used  “close-spaced ratios” and shot peened gears to give it adequate load carrying capacity.  The shift mechanism was a high performance type mounted on the transmission extension.  It protruded up through the floor next to the console rather than being mounted on the floor as in the Newport and Sport Series 300s.  Per Chrysler, this gave more positive shifting quality.   A 3.91 rear end (code 538) was used on the stick J, which must have provided unreal acceleration around 3000 rpm and up.   The shifter used on the J was the same as that on the 426 Dodge/Plymouth.  The transmission was not the same unit.   As far as I know the J manual was Chrysler built.

Only seven stick Js were built by the factory, and none are known by the club to have survived to the present day.  The last documented sighting of a stick J that I am aware of was by Gil in July of 1963 in Michigan.   We believe this very car was probably the one tested by Auto Sports in April 1963.  This makes a stick J sort of a “holy grail” of letter cars (note: at least one J has been retrofitted with a 4spd manual; it was shown at Alamogordo last fall, but this is not factory).

Carl B