From: "Michael Moore mmoore8425@xxxxxxx [Chrysler300]" <Chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Mike Moore" <michaelpmoore@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Listsaver 300 Club" <chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2015 1:59:00 PM
Subject: [Chrysler300] 300H performance

I have not been happy with my 300H performance for along time, probably coinciding with the departure of good hi test gasoline.
To date, I have had both AFBs restored by a top shop, I have had the original distributor restored, I have checked the valve settings  and I have timed the engine correctly after I installed a new damper. The engine is stock (except camshaft) with a .020 overbore and the compression is excellent although I did not record it. The engine was rebuilt around 50,000 miles ago by a top midwestern shop.

I have assumed my problems relate to the Barnes camshaft which the builder had custom ground to reduce the cr so the car could run on regular gasoline. It reduces cr by adding overlap. I have acquired a stock 300H camshaft which I have yet to install. I am doubtful that will resolve it, but the engine would then be back to stock 300H ex-factory configuration.

I was talking to some friends yesterday about the engine and my  unhappiness, and their view was that my real problem was the compression ratio is so high.  I have to run it somewhat retarded to keep it from pinging, and by the time I get the idle speed up nothing (carnbs, timing etc)  is set  where one would think it should be.

I have puzzled about how people can buy a crate 440 and get great performance without fuel injection. I have considered buying a crate engine and swapping it but retaining the original engine for posterity.

t was suggested I buy just new heads only to lower the cr, and that I buy a set of Edelbrock AFB clones matched to the heads and use my intake manifold along with an appropriate camshaft.

Has anyone done anything like this to a 300H"
Thanks, Mike Moore

Posted by: ldmiklas@xxxxxxxxxxx