Or maybe the transmission tail should be something like 1" off center if everything lines up from the off-center water pump to the on-center diff. Or is the diff off-center by the same 1.75? My lift is occupied right now, and I don't enjoy creepers, or I'd go do some empirical checking.

Keith

-

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 6:54 PM, John Grady <jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It is not the single measurement you need…. see if tail is 1.75 off center too! It should be

From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Keith Boonstra kboonstra@xxxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300]
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2015 5:32 PM
To: Rich Barber
Cc: Dave Dumais; Chrysler300Club Intl.
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] I walk the line

The engine in my '57 measures about 1.75" off center to the passenger side.

Keith Boonstra

-

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 9:18 PM, 'Rich Barber' c300@xxxxxxx [Chrysler300] <Chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The engines in my ’55 and ’64 300’s are offset toward the passenger side and I know the rear tranny mount is also offset to the driver’s side in the ’55 as is the drive tunnel.  The rear tranny mount of the ’55 can be installed either way and had been installed backwards so that the engine, transmission and driveshaft were angled improperly.  I discovered this when addition of a couple of heavyweights in the back seat caused the driveshaft to thump the tunnel.  I had noticed no other problems of vibration but everything was out of whack.

I believe the offset is common with the rationale being to offset the weight of the driver and to give the driver a little more foot room for the accelerator pedal.  This offset is huge in our motor home which is built on the GM P30 chassis and has the back of its 454 intruding between the foot wells.  I looked at our ’99 Jeep and its engine seems to be perfectly centered.

It’s possible the rear tranny mount on all or most of our 300’s may also be offset and subject to installation error.  And, so, worth a peek next time you are underneath to make sure crankshaft, tail shaft and drive shaft are pretty much lined up with the back U-joint being responsible for making up any angularity offsets.  It would not surprise me if the pinion shaft was also slightly out of orthogonality.

Rich Barber

Director and Membership Manager

Chrysler 300 Club, Inc.

1801 Redwine Terrace