[Chrysler300] Norm Thatcher / Ed Quinn (1950's History)

[Chrysler300] Norm Thatcher / Ed Quinn (1950's History)

  Hello guys,

  I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on some Chrysler history.  Or point me in the right direction?

 From 1955 to 1971 Ed Quinn provided Norm Thatcher with over 20+ cars.  Most were used for setting records and racing, while some were just for Norm to "play" with.  Norm and Ed had an extremely close friendship.  Ed would chat with Norm all the time, sometimes car related and sometimes just "BS".  I've been told by different members of Norm's shop that Ed would also visit the shop anytime he had business in Southern California, which was several times a years.  I found a photo in Norm's personal collection which shows Ed in Norm's shop, standing next to the fender of Norm's 1959 Bonneville car.

  Ed was President of the Chrysler Division until about late 1958 or '59.  He then went on to a VP position of the entire corp.  On top of this Ed was also a board member... so he was an extremely powerful guy within Chrysler.

  I'm trying to find an initial meeting or the beginning of the relationship.  So far I have had no luck.  In 1955 Norm seems to be deeply involved with Chrysler and going full speed with factory backing. There has to be more pre-'55 history, as they had to have built up a relationship prior to supplying cars.

  A couple clues that could point to an earlier history are:

  1.) Norm worked with W.P. Chrysler when he was a kid at the railroads.

  2.) Norm started the Los Angele Valley's first Dodge/Plymouth dealership.

  3.) Both Ed and Norm were born in PA.  Norm in 1897 and Ed about 1904.

  4.) Both worked for Studebaker early in the century, although different locations (IN and MI)

  5.) Both worked at serious machine shops as kids (pre-teens).  Norm in Railroad and Ed at Studebaker.

  It seems clear WHY they would connect so well, but nothing that actually points to when they connected.

  The most promising guess is that we know Norm was contracted to "tune" VIP cars for Chrysler that were destined for California VIP and media.  I'm starting to think this may have been a way for the two to initially meet.

  Can anyone take a look at this info and come up with any ideas on where to look and what direction to go next?  Or does anyone have any info on Ed Quinn that may help???

 Josh

Posted by: josh@xxxxxxxxxx