Pulls the pan to look for debris if he’s like me, and ends up totally mystified!
(I once bought a  beautiful 55 Dodge  2 dr hardtop at a good price because it needed a “tuneup. It had no compression on a cylinder. I pulled the head and there was no piston, nor connecting rod. Just a huge piece out of the cylinder wall! )
   Mike

On Mar 3, 2015, at 8:21 AM, 'Jack Boyle' jackcboyle@xxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300] <Chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have had excellent luck using just an electric pump – admittedly a single carb car. I built a fuel line THROUGH the mechanical pump. I also cut the arm off the pump so all that is left dummy casting. You cannot tell by looking at the engine that the mechanical pump serves no function.

The best part of this is even after the car sits for months or hot days, it starts immediately – no cold oil-less cranking for extended periods, not to mention wear and tear on the starter.

…Jack

Jack Boyle

(913) 544 4650

Enjoying the same C-300 since 1967

IMG_0623 small

From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of 'mgoodknight@xxxxxxxx' mgoodknight@xxxxxxxx [Chrysler300]
Sent: Tuesday, March 3, 2015 4:46 AM
To: c300@xxxxxxx
Cc: french_fryguy@xxxxxxxxx; ryan_hillc300@xxxxxxxxxxx; terrymct999@xxxxxxxxx; chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Chrysler300]

In most of the pumps electrical contact for the solenoid is intermittent and occurs only as the discharge chamber in the pump is emptied. As the spring-loaded diaphragm forces the fuel out of that chamber a pair of contacts is closed to energize the solenoid coil. The diaphragm is drawn back against the compression spring bringing more fuel into the pump's chamber and again breaking the circuit to the solenoid coil so that the newly draw fuel charge can be pressurized by the spring and diaphragm. This repeated operation is the oscillation that you can hear. As the carburetors fill, the fuel flow decreases and the stroke of the diaphragm tends to shorten a bit and the oscillation rate increases, thus the change in pitch of the sound from the pump. When there is no flow there is no oscillation and the pump is inactive except that the loaded spring continues to hold the diaphragm against the trapped fuel charge in the pump. Leakage within the pump (imperfect check valves) allow slow loss of pressure and an occasional click might be heard.

This operation is not very different from that of the engine mounted diaphragm pump except in how the spring is reloaded against the diaphragm. The eccentric on the camshaft moves a lever to mechanically compress the spring that presses against the diaphragm. As long as there is pressure in the pump and no fuel flow is occurring there is no movement of the diaphragm in the pump. A second spring keeps the operating lever in contact with the eccentric so that mechanical noises are suppressed, but that motion is not linked to the diaphragm until some of the fuel escapes. As in the electric pump the stroke shortens with slow flow because there is not much time for the diaphragm to move before the camshaft's eccentric will again reload the spring. The rate of that oscillation changes only as the engine speed changes.