Back in the early 90's when I had my push rod problem with the 300 vert., I was going up a hill just south of the Oregon border in California.  All of a sudden the engine quit running.  I spent a few hundred dollars in the next town and delayed my trip 1 day there.  I had a carburetor shop check the entire fuel system and the only way we could get it to run right was to install an electric fuel pump.  At first their finding was that the carb needed rebuilding, so I agreed to it although the carburetor was almost brand new!  To make a long story short, the problem was a worn out push rod on the cam end.  I now carry a spare.

Dan Reitz
Bell Canyon, CA

In a message dated 3/3/2015 11:45:12 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, Chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>we know the tank can puke junk into the fuel line after storage—mostly rust flakes; this gets into mechanical inlet valve of pump and prevents seating, which stops the flow after typically 10  miles, (too far to walk back)  , or weakens the flow rate . The filter is usually after the pump, under pressure flow, which is OK if big enough and gas clean . It is there to protect carburetor passages.

There should be a nylon filter on the fuel pickup line in the tank to prevent this from happening. Also, if a tank is suspect then it should be pulled, boiled out and sealed (Bill Hirsh sealer, etc).

I've heard too many stories of folks who will try to start a car that hasn't run in decades, by dumping 5 gallons of fresh gas into the tank and cranking. An easy way to buy yourself a whole bunch of difficult-to-diagnose problems down the road.

Ron