RE: [Chrysler300] Ethanol-exempt vehicles?

RE: [Chrysler300] Ethanol-exempt vehicles?

Vehicles in Iowa are not by law Ethanol Exempt. This is just the fuel of choice. Any older (pre 1985 or so) gas engine or ATV, Marine and Motor Cycle engines generally require a higher octane gas and  it requires some creative searching to find it. Most stations still have non-ethanol fuel available (87 and 91 octane) and as has been mentioned marine dock stations are good sources. Also most General Aviation airports sell the 80 and 100 LL fuel at a higher price premium. Used Aviation fuel for several years and then switched to the 91 octane and everything runs fine. I did destroy several small gas engines while trying out the Ethanol fuel, and now avoid it entirely. On the road both jeeps will run on the stuff but if given the choice will avoid it. Also really gummed up the Onan generator carb with the stuff when it sat for the winter once in the Motor Home.

When I still was flying we had to request a refund for the fuel used because the Road Use TAX was collected at the pump. We always came out paying more for the better fuel, and still wonder why the GA pilot wanted to start using Ethanol in the first place after several years of trying they did get it approved. Wonder how many engine failures could be attributed to this new trend.

I live within 20 miles of 3 Ethanol producing plants and can see the steam on the horizon on a clear day. We now farm 3300 acres of row crops and every bushel goes to the plants. Feast or famine I don't know. The price remains the same whether it goes into cows, corn Flakes or corn bread. Given the option I will always choose non-Ethanol for the old beast, and would be happy to pay a premium if necessary. If I were to head West to California this could be a problem but so far have never ventured further from home than a tank will take me. Guess I can be thankful for my blessings.

John Holst, still winter in Iowa...

Posted by: John Holst <jholst@xxxxxxxxx>