RE: [Chrysler300] c300 transmission

Really interesting topic. HD version of early 2 spd transmission? Powerflight, right? Might relate to truck use also.

I learned a lot about iron case Torqueflight from Powerflight section of books , maybe 57 , particularly how the reverse blocker works..A long painful story . No reverse may not be a “real” problem in trans , other than Gov pressure not dropping enough to retract reverse blocker.( “zero speed “)  I only mention this as I think Chrysler mechanics were expected to remember what was presented the year before, and later service manuals seem to edit out earlier stuff. Not helpful for a first time reader .. So read them from the start! (55!) .

From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of 'mgoodknight@xxxxxxxx' mgoodknight@xxxxxxxx [Chrysler300]
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 8:34 AM
To: chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Chrysler300] c300 transmission

Hi Folks,

    Not long ago I was looking at the transmission identification chart on our "Club" website and I noticed that there are 2 transmission part numbers listed for the '55 c300.  A footnote for one of them (1638475) indicates that it was "for racing only" and that it has a different valve body.  I'm interested in getting more information about this transmission-----were there other differences?---- did the build sheet for the car show such an installation?--- and how many cars were actually equipped with it at the factory?

     My interest is mainly because I have one of them and I've never read or heard anything else about the existence of such a transmission.  I do not presently have this transmission installed in my car because I broke the reverse band and with the expectation of having a long parts search period I chose to temporarily install my extra New Yorker transmission so that I can continue to drive the car.  I now have the needed parts, but have not done the repair.  I want to know what to look for (and to look at) when I go into it.

Thanks in advance for any information that you might be able to offer.

-----------------Marshall Goodknight   C300  3N552650      sold new Lodi, California                                                                                           to Joe Bianchini 6/15/55

Old School Yearbook Pics
View Class Yearbooks Online Free. Search by School & Year. Look Now!
classmates.com

Posted by: "John Grady" <jkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>