Re: [Chrysler300] 300J transmission assembly part numbers - possible new

Re: [Chrysler300] 300J transmission assembly part numbers - possible new information

The trans I took out of my J is also stamped 2408007.  The car was built on 12 December of 1962.  I saw no signs of it ever being removed from the car.

Sent: Tuesday, May 26, 2015 8:24 PM
Subject: [Chrysler300] 300J transmission assembly part numbers - possible new information

300J owners:

For the last 33 years or so we have been reporting that the 300J transmission assembly part number is 2464426.  That transmission number is correct for the 300J and was also used with the 1963 Dodge and Plymouth 426 Super Stock engines with automatic.   2464426 is the part number as listed in the 1963 parts manual issued on  Jan. 3, 1964.  However, that part number is a “change or addition” to the number issued in the earlier 1963 parts manuals, and I do not have access to earlier versions.

We have evidence from several 300J owners who believe their transmission may be original to the car that indicates the original transmission assembly part number may have been 2408007.  This part number was issued late in the 1962 model year and was used with the 1962 Dodge and Plymouth 413 Super Stock engines.  The part number is stamped on the oil pan rail edge on the drivers side of the transmission.   So if you fellas have a J transmission stamped 2408007, don’t assume it is the wrong tranny!  Also, some of the pans may have a drain plug like those used in 1962 and some may not.

Your humble (but rather detail oriented) J consultant,
Carl Bilter

Posted by: <lynnd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>