From: Bob Jasinski [mailto:rpjasin@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2015 5:12 PM
To: 'John Grady'; Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] Group 27 Batteries

John,

I stand by my original post, and can back it up from printed material provided by battery manufacturers and engineers.  Also, battery state of charge (specific gravity) most definitely can be determined by reading the battery voltage across the posts with no load and when not connected to a charger.. Notice I  wrote "state of charge"  I did not write "battery capacity",  they are two different things.  A battery's cell open circuit voltage  = specific gravity  + 0.845.  So a 6 cell , 12 volt battery that is fully charged equals 1.260 specific gravity + 0.845 x 6= 12.63 volts across the posts. This is nominal because temperature affects the value as does S.G. variances cell to cell.

Self discharge is a fact for all lead acid batteries (actually all batteries to some extent).  This is why battery retailers must periodically provide freshening charges to the product in stock. Pure lead plates will have the lowest self discharge, but even they will self discharge given enough time.  Storage temperature plays a large role here too.

I'm not suggesting all battery maintainers are created equal or that they can be used across all types.  What I am stating is that if properly used, they will extend the life of a battery during long periods of non-use.  Once a battery discharges, water replaces the acid and sulfation begins to form, and if left long enough it will preclude the battery from accepting a charge.  I had this happen to good quality, two year old flooded group 27 in my 300G.  I let the car sit for almost 10 months during a house remodel and the battery would not take a charge.  Rather than just buy a new one, I decided to spike the electrolyte with hot acid (1.265 S.G.) by removing an equal amount of low gravity acid and replacing it with the hot stuff.  The battery now began to slowly take a charge,  As the specific gravity continued to rise, I pulled off some acid and replaced it with distilled water until the battery was fully charged and all the cells read about 1.250.  Got another 3 years out of it, can't do that with an AGM battery.

I now use inexpensive maintainers on unused batteries in my truck, 300 and lawn tractor and check them periodically.  They work for me, and I do not see any appreciable water consumption as a result.  An alternative would be to just give the battery a periodic freshening charge, that works too, but I get busy and forget.  By the way, I do get my maintainers from Harbor freight, and I had my doubts too.

Bob J

Danville CA