Re: [Chrysler300] Voltage regulating

I had the bouncing needle/pulsing headlight issue until I installed a electronic voltage regulator on my G. No problems since. Just my 2 cent input. Cheers!

Joey

Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2015 6:59 PM
Subject: [Chrysler300] Voltage regulating

Folks,
  I have read with great interest the various e-mails on the above subject.  This has been discussed years previously, without successfully resolving the issue, I think.
  I have a 300-K on hand, plus a 1968 New Yorker.  Previously had another 300-K.  Only the latter did not “blink” its headlights as it went down the highway!  Naturally the pulsing ammeter accompanied the blinking.  The one that did not blink/pulse had a mechanical voltage regulator (I believe original Chrysler manufacture!).  The other two now have the electronic version (IF I remember correctly these were available through our club member who is now gone) which helps but does not eliminate the issue.  Both only pulse the ammeter when the headlights are “on”.  High beams make the situation worse on the 1964, but tend to smooth out the blinking/pulsing on the 1968.  Both have had a special ground wire run from the voltage regulator case to the bulk head ground where the ground wire from the engine goes to the chassis.  NO improvement.
  Now of the two, I have had the 1968 since my Granddad died and left it for me in 1971.  For MANY years it was OK.  Then the ammeter failed and I replaced it (another story about a parts man who felt nothing could fail in the ammeter).  Still no issue with pulsing until the ALTERNATOR was replaced (Chrysler Corp rebuilt unit, not a bargain parts store piece)!  Once that happened, I had the pulsing at the ammeter under most driving conditions.  The electronic voltage regulator tended to reduce that except when I am driving with low beams on.  I went through quite a few mechanical and one other electronic voltage regulators trying to “fix” the problem.
  I am not an electronics engineer.  I DO have an opinion!  I am of the opinion the three diodes are not fully functioning correctly on the alternator and a less than smooth current is produced (three phased currents to look like a smooth 13 volt current or there abouts).  I do not know anyone that has the ability/equipment/knowledge to check this.  I should think a good EE with an oscilloscope could do so.  By no means is it unique.  My friend, Galen Wollbrink, has it with his several old Chryslers.  Almost looks like these pulsing headlights on motorcycles these days.
  Anyone with a good solution would surely be welcome to solve this issue!  Most of what I read and what I have tried only address accomodating and lessening the issue, not really fixing it.
Thank you for hearing yet another “opinion”!
Tim Tomlinson

Posted by: "Joey" <JoeSchmitt@xxxxxxxxxx>