[Chrysler300] SELLING MELISSA :(

Hello to all in 300sville!

It is literally embarrasing to have been off the list server for probably over 2 years!!
It is NOT okay in my opinion, just because I'm broke, going through divorce, and not still actively pursuing the server because Melissa (my 300G hardtop, for those that are new), continues to have troubles that I can not afford to fix. I could have helped perhaps countless others! My '61 G (Melissa), still has gorqeous paint & chrome (for the most part).
To make a long story short, I got layed off of work, divorce settlements, this and that, and a new electrically oriented, possible fuel related problem, but more than likely the first, that leaves me no other choice in my opinion to finally let her go.
To back up if some can remember, my last problem was the TorqueFlite tranny.
She would do 3 to 2 kickdowns like she was supposed to do at 40 mph. or faster, NOT 3-1s, but after 1/2 hour to 40 minutes of driving, Melissa would do 3-1 kickdowns at 43, 46, and eventually up to 55 mph! Ugggh.
BUT NOW THAT PROBLEM IS SOLVED!! Rapid transmissions of Escondido, California were the 'heroes' in that case. Even after 3 to 4 hours+ driving her, at 41 mph. only 3-2 kickdowns would occur!! I was so excited (because I had this problem w/ over 2 to 3 other tranny shops, for over I think 2 years), that I took her even after I noticed they forgot to hook up my parking brake!!!! About a month later of excited driving and constantly pinching myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming, I finally got her back to Rapid Transmissions to hook up my parking brake!!
...But, low and behold, soon after, Melissa had developed a different 'governor' problem (BTW, I never knew the 'culprit' for the tranny problem, they were going to get back to me or vise versa, never happened, was excited, problem solved kind of thing). They told me it wasn't the governor though, BUT ANYWAYS, this other 'governor' problem kept Melissa from going over 80-85 mph. Not that its okay to do this a lot obviously, but initially I thought it was my fuel filter? Pump? Crap in the tank? Lines? All I know is she finally had all fuel elements/possibilities looked into and problem was solved! But guess what, the SAME DAY that problem was solved was the day that Melissa has had now for almost 18 months now. She idles terribly, but she gets going and dies when I come to a stop.
I had the jerk that I've known from high school (used to be cool up until the last 7 to 8 years TMI), work w/ the distibutor, do some adjustments, and although no 'governor', (notice in quotes) problem, still bad idling, loss of performance, and engine dying before a stop.
I sent the distributor up to JCAuto to get the distributor rebuilt and I KNOW that Jeff C. did a great job. He sent it back and my 'lovely' mechanic that I've know from HS installed it with an attitude and even yelled and cussed me out on a hot day in Valley Center because I got back to the shop 5 minutes after they closed. He had to go to a game (sorry TMI).
ANYWAYS, needless to say, Melissa still inherents that problem. It can just be a vacuum leak!? Wouldn't he have come to that conclusion!? To cut to the chase, it took 18 months approx. later to get a 'spiritual awaking' and come to the conclusion to sell Melissa to a real good, loving caring home. She is a strong #3 condition car (if she didn't have the aforementioned problem(s). Also, Melissa was resting for a while and a long with some $ that will have to go into brake work, a front right brake plate will need to be purchased for proper adjusting. She also will have to have the rear main seal of engine block replaced (after driving, oil drips fairly good on the cross/exhaust pipe (if you will) and she looks like she is overheating after coming to a rest. I want to be honest and assess what needs to be done. She'll need some electrical work to get both brake lights, and 1 taillight working. Both parking lamps work but will need to be activated with a new turn signal switch which can be obtained (I know of) through JCAuto. The turn signal cancel switch is good because I got one from Jeff about 3 to 4 years ago (thanks Jeff)!!
Melissa will more than likely need a rebuilt power steering box. Timo Tamskun? (sorry Timo if I misspelled your last name). She is sluggish in steering and I doubt an adjustment will do much. Also, there is still intermittent grinding of the starter motor pinion to the ring gear. Pre-faulty bellhousings I believe were the culprit for this. Instead of a grind every 8th to 15th time I would start (as I explained probabley 10 to 15 years ago). This now occurs every 25th to 30th time. The reason for this is that now I have a solid bellhousing that finally doesn't move, but the current ring gear was used on bellhousing #2 or 3 (had a lot of tranny + rebuilds/tranny!!). Not for sure, but I believe this WILL be solved by simply heating up ring rear, pounding it off, and reversing it to the 'good teeth'..
The trunk is bare w/ no carpet. Before these latest problems developed within the last 19 to 23 months approx., not counting tranny because it is fixed, I had, and STILL have Melissa insured for $65,000.
With the aforementioned fixed, Melissa will be back to approx. $60,000. The reason for this $60K, not $65K is some rust issues bubbling in a typical 300F-G spot just behind the lower portion of the driver door (where moisture has gone down into rear window). Also, a sometimes typical crack about 2 to 2 1/2 inches long right at were the 'roof gulley' (if you will), or where water channels down rear roof pillar just in between the fin of Melissa Only on driver's side is apparent. Some say (I've heard) that it's typical on a lot of Ford Mustang's on the same side. AND LAST BUT NOT LEASTE, she will need a little body work on upper rear fender cowling. (I could be wrong w/ some of my terms). Also, the spear side chrome strip between '300', towards the rear has a little dent in it. The strip can be removed easily from inside the trunk as I have removed them before myself.
FINALLY, YES, I will post plenty of photos of Melissa very soon here on our '300 site 'Cars for Sale'. She has NEW CYLINDER HEADS, with less than 1,000 miles on them. A fantastic engine rebuild with under 8,000 miles on it. A fantastic transmission rebuild with less than 5,000 miles on it (I think, will double check), the papers to it all. I recall getting my engine rebuilt at MJM engines in Escondido, Ca.
With that engine rebuild, the new cylinder heads, and a new 'idle tune/vacuum leak (hopefully) fix', whatever is that particular problem, you should find this to BE THE MOST POWERFUL 'F' OR 'G' THAT ANYBODY HAS EVER DRIVEN OR KNOWS ANYONE TO HAVE DONE THE SAME. IT SHOULD DYNO TEST AT AN EASY 400HP+ AT THE ENGINE!!!!!!!
With that said, YES, the engine block, internal components are stock (except pistons because cylinders were bored out to the maxium 60 for 413cid and has HP41 stamped lightly (hard to see), but correctly on engine block, not R41, like on the the New Yorkers/Imperials!!! Although 413s are known for getting a little warm, like me & some of us may already know, even bored out 60, she doesn't do too bad, but I also have to mention that the temperature gauge will need to be recalibrated. Regular operating temperature right now will show needle just below half way between the very cold mark to the first 'slash or mark/line. All other gauges including factory tachometer are flawless, well lit, and correctly calibrated, including pointers that were professionally painted by Jeff Carter about 10 to 12 years ago. Again, as mentioned somewhere above, she is insured through Hagerty at 65K. Obviously, she would be a 'little' down from that. Nadaguides has a 300G right now at high retail at just under $83,000. Average retail at just over $42,000. For a real quick motivating sale I am willing to let Melissa go at just barely over LOW RETAIL VALUE, according to Nadaguides at I think $28,800 for just $29,500 firm!! Anyone interested!?
Well, I'm getting sleepy and think that wraps it up folks!!  ;-D
Again, I wish this gem, with a little bit of work, to go to a caring loving home. There are a lot of times that I've enjoyed Melissa for the past 15 years but now I'm at my 'crossroads'. Thank you to all for reading!!!

Sincerely & 300ly, Brandt H J w/ a hopefully soon sold G.

Posted by: Brandt Jimerson <brandt300g@xxxxxxxxx>