Re: [Chrysler300] Carb flooding

Crap ethanol gas causes gumming and sticking of the needles in the open position, as the floats are at their lowest position when the fuel bowl is empty.  The dried residue on the needle and on the float fulcrum will cause the floats and/or needle to stick in the open position if the carbs are left empty of fuel or the fuel evaporates over time.  Whenever I have a car that has sat for a long period of time, before I try to start them, the night before I will place some fresh gas in the carbs through the vents (including bowl vents if so equipped) along with a small portion of carb cleaner.  I let the mixture do its thing over night and in the morning, the cars will usually start fine with no flooding.  Make sure the bowls are pretty full for the best effect.  Ethanol gas can't go away soon enough - we are all sick of the junk, but it doesn't appear imminent because the stuff is a cheap product that works fine in nearly all the regularly used vehicles on the road.

Steve Albu

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 8:12 AM, 'Rick Vitek' rpvitek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300] <Chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks. As you note what puzzles me was the fact it happened to both carbs at the same time. Both went from working just fine to major problem after remounting so I wonder what went wrong. Needle problem was my first guess as both are fed from a common gasoline system that was disturbed. I wonder what other sources of raw gas flooding can happen in these types of carbs. I also wonder if anyone was familiar with some mistake in remounting that could cause this problem.

From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of William Huff czbill@xxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300]
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2015 2:49 PM
To: Rick Vitek; Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Carb flooding

I have read that the viton tips can be problematic when used with Ethanol gas, they start leaking for whatever reason. Some performance gurus recommend metal needles. Also might make sure that one of the floats hasn't opened up and started to sink, although I wouldn't think that would happen on both carbs at the same time.

Bill Huff