Re: [Chrysler300] CAUTION; disc brake conversions

Re: [Chrysler300] CAUTION; disc brake conversions

Really appreciate this Larry ; the warning aspect is super important ..maybe we need a section on website about known 300 failure modes like the throttle on ram cars sticking or JK boisters that have been messed with .
That being said , the AAJ kit or any other important part of a car has to have the bolts torqued properly ( engineer hat on-- ) just like rod bolts . When torqued properly the bolt stretches slightly , like a thick rubber band and will not "back out" .
I do not know if they spec a torque .. If not they should . I was victimized by a mopar steering  falling off the frame in a restored Cuda ( Jamie H found the problem) all stock stuff assembled by a guy who did not torque the mount bolts. One was gone it was hanging loosely on 2 after 900 miles ; i was looking  for steering linkage issue , all brand new . Almost got killed on 90 due to this , evolving poor control of car between two trucks 8" away . Had this again on 4.0 jeep motor mounts after engine rebuild . Bolts got loose and then broke off , due to back and forth loading once they could move . Never happens to the factory jeep .
So , broken tabs etc with only one bolt holding it may not be a design problem , it may be a loose bolt problem . Safety wiring on planes usually means the bolt has been torqued and provides indication of that ; it is not the same as say a castellated nut and cotterpin , which will positively stop any turning .
Grade 8 or ARP bolts torqued correctly ought to be safe .. And loctite helps , but locktite is temp sensitive . Like lug nuts .. Same deal . GM bolt too ? Sometimes you see a dot of paint on critical car bolts when new . Same thing; they have been torqued to a spec . Torque converter and crankshaft bolts are another area where you see this issue . It can happen to anyone not usiing a  torque wrench on critical bolts .
John

Sent from my iPhone