Hi Doug and Dave,
Here is some background about the shift cable repair using shrink wrap tubing. I wound up using Gary Goers repair kit and have had no problems in the two months since the repair was completed. The page from Goers parts manual is attached, although you may need to rotate it. I got my kit promptly although Gary had written he was behind on orders.
I took my cable out for the repair although I think some folks have made the repair with the cable still attached to the shift button mechanism.
From: Carlton Schroeder [mailto:schroe99@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2015 9:35 PM
To: 'Jamie Hyde'
Subject: Trans shift cable repair kit
Just wanted to give you an update of where this trans shift cable repair study / route has taken me.
A few months ago with good input from Keith I purchased 4 foot long 3:1 and 4:1 shrink wrap tubes that I could experiment with.
I did a little of that experimenting and near the end of April I sent an email to the Club asking for some damaged shift cables I could repair and document the repair.
While I did not get any damaged cables, Bob Hayden who works with Gary Goers emailed to let me know they have a shift cable repair kit. So I ordered a catalog and then ordered a repair kit as shown on the attached page (Item # 678). I don’t remember the exact dates but I think I ordered the repair kit in early June and it arrived a few weeks later. Actually I was surprised to receive the kit that soon with all the medical trouble Gary has been having. Because the catalog price is out of date you have to add 10% to the price and then add 20% for shipping. So overall I paid about $30 to receive the kit.
The kit includes 2 different size 48” shrink tubes and instructions to use them both and cover the whole length of the cable. Both tubes in Goers kit were smaller in unshrunk diameter than the ones I started with; and I think their unshrunk wall thickness was a little thinner too.
Recently I’ve been having a nearby mechanic do some odds and ends on my C so I added the shift cable repair work to that list and it was done last week. The repair went fine and while I’ve only driven the C about 100 miles since then, there are no leaks.
So, to be honest, if I had initially known this Goers repair kit was available, that is the route I would have taken right away. Maybe we should talk all this over at the Macungie meet. It just seems to me if we already have a kit available we should go with that until it might become unavailable.